Escapist

Epica

1,721 posts in this topic

Since the old thread seems deleted, I've decided to start a new one. Enjoy! 5th studio album Requiem For The Indifferent will be released by Nuclear Blast on the 9th of March (13th of March in the USA).

Official homepage: epica.nl

As I was telling before...

...I am waiting on album as good, catchy and memorable as their best stuff ever - Consing To Oblivion mixed with more heavy riffs.

What happened to the previous Epica thread? :ph34r:

Edited by Devious Mischievous
Ignore this post. :p

I just listened to the live version of Storm The Sorrow, the song is actaully good, but Simone's singing was pretty bad she just can't sing that good live but during this song she seemed to lose her voice all the time, might get better with time but still I'm waiting for the album :)

I've only heard a studio version of it and it's pretty good. I mean, the song itself, but I haven't heard it live yet, so... I guess I'll have to listen on youtube again. No one bothers to come in Bulgaria, of course. <_<

I'm not a fan of this band as I said in the old thread . They have good songs but nothing original - they just play what you expect when you hear "symphonic metal" - choirs, orcestrations, some opera-like singing and half dressed (or naked) girl on covers. Nothing that's haven't been done before from other bands.

Saw them once in 2010 at Kavarna Rock Fest and I deffinatly don't want to go to their concert again. Nothing against Simone but she's not a good live singer - lacks power, vocal controll and sometimes (usually - from what I heard there and from YT videos) she sounds like screaming on high parts. It's good that chorial parts are on playback because she can't take them live.

I kinda saw them as a good jumping off point for where Mark Jansen had wanted to go with After Forever, rather than where After Forever ended up going. I liked The Phantom Agony, and I think Consign To Oblivion ... I think what could've been would be something great, but they restrained themselves too much. Didn't really care for The Divine Conspiracy, and I was getting to a point where I was losing interest (not just in the band, but in this style of music in general). But, they were going to play at Volume 11 in Raleigh back in February of 2010, so I figured I'd go for ***** and giggles, and it turned out to be a really good show.. they interacted with the audience, seemed to enjoy being on stage, and it was just a fun show. So it was enough to convince me to try out Design Your Universe, and I ended up liking it a lot. I saw them again in Denver in November of 2010, although I don't think they put on as good of a show as they did in Raleigh... the thin air due to the altitude here probably played a role in that... it takes a while to get acclimated to it.

What happened to the old thread? :blink:

Anyway, I like their music, even if it's highly clicheeic. it sounds good and I really like their use of choirs and orchestras. However, I can't stand their attitude trying to be all badass and heavy. Mark grunting on the stage "let's sing something heavy, do you want something heavy? here you go, let's get crazy and heavy. with heavy music. And heavy songs. And heavy metal" and then going into a calm piano intro is ***** hilarious! There's nothing wrong with not being heavy, but please, for the love of God, please stop pretending you are. I don't understand why they can't be satisfied with what they are, it's not like people listen to them because they want heavy music (most of them like Epica because they have choirs and orchestras and Simone has a pretty voice and nice boobs). Why isn't there a synonim for "heavy", i just overused it to death....

@angel_heart: Stargazer had started it, and since her account and all her posts were deleted, the entire thread ended up getting deleted as well. :mellow:

See angel_heart the thing with Epica is that they try too hard in everything. Everything. And it's ***** hilarious. I really only care about what Epica does nowadays to see how further they slide down.

Well I have to say this, I was very hard on Epica most of the times, but some comments here are non sense to me, in the end, they are a pretty great band and definetely one of the best in this genre, and for me eyes now, they are better than Nightwish, at least Epica stays metal and I love that about them, Mark Jansen its amazing, Simone its alright , she isnt the best singer , but the whole band is awesome,

Epica trying to hard? Maybe with CTO , but after that... Nope, I do think they are pretty original, what other bands sounds like them ?

the other one and its sadly gone was After Forever (which was / is my favorite band ever) but theres no other bands like them,

I meant they're trying to hard live, with their attitude and their "designated words", not with the music.

I am looking forward to the album, though I don't really expect them to bring anything new to the table... I've always enjoyed Epica's music, but the way in which they choose to express political opinions and messages is a massive turn off for me :P I rarely ever say things like this, but if they just pulled back a notch, I believe their music would benefit.

So, I just listened the the 'Storm the Sorrow' single, and on first impression, I do like the direction they're taking - yay! I think the song will grow on me... and, omg, the lyrics weren't too preachy! :giggle:

Somebody who noticed the latest teaser for Monopoly on Truth? I think it displays the main problem I had with the last album; altough the choir is still majestic and present - they didn't give the orchestra enough space in my opinion. Even if I like Design Your Universe as well, I wish they would take a more soundtrackish direction as they did in The Divine Conspiracy and of course other previous pieces.

^Nightwish fans asking for more orchestrations? Say it ain't so! :D

Anyway, I like the single okay, but it's nothing very special. I like the beginning where Simone sings lower. She just sounds better.

Everyone I've seen is pretty hard on Simone's singing, but I personally think she's quite good...I saw them in November 2010, and really liked them, she was quite good. Now nobody's perfect, but to compare to some other singers (*cough*Tarja*cough*), I think she was pretty good. I dunno, maybe I got her on a good night? :P

I'm totally pumped for Requiem of the Indifferent. Listened to Storm the Sorrow last night and fell in love with it instantly. At first (back with Design Your Universe) I was a little unsure with the heavier direction they were taking, but now I find it awesome.

As for Simone's singing, I don't find her weak in the slightest. On the contrary, I think of her as a very talented singer. And damned hot, to boot.

Does anyone know if Storm the Sorrow is going to have a music video? And any clues on an Aussie release date? I can't find anything anywhere.

I love Epica! Ok,we all have bad moments! I am talking about her voices that sometimes is not very good!

Right, I've done some digging for any Aussies interested. Went to JB HI-FI and was told that, as of yet, there is no Australian release date for Requiem. As the German release is set for the 9th of March, and JB sources direct from Nuclear Blast on the release date, it will be arriving in Australia 2 weeks+ after the German date. As for other stores, I wouldn't know. Stores which only source from Aussie suppliers are likely not going to sell it.

Yes there is going to be a video for sts and they have been filming it for the last two weeks!

Awesome! Glad to know. Any ideas on a release date, or links to this information?

i can't rememeber where i read it but Simone also said in her twitter that they are filming it in Amsterdam and that her part has already been filmed! I also read that we are going to see the band in a way we haven't before! can't wait! no info on the release date yet though i think it will be before the album release date in two weeks!

Thanks for the info! I'll be looking forward to the video.

According to Amazon Requiem for the Indifferent is released in the UK on March 12th (same day as Pythia - guess who's now broke...)

I am a font of useless information...

I'm actually really looking forward to it - I love Epica and I'm hoping we'll get another UK tour on the back of the album; I saw them in April last year (and Simone was *on it* all night, she never missed a note) and it was fantabulous. Plus I'm hoping I'll get to speak to Mark again without sounding like a total spaz. "Ooh, you're Mark Jansen!" is NOT the greatest opening gambit in the history of the world...*slaps self*

Well.... he *was* Mark jansen. And in your defence, he's hot enough to make one babble. If only he'd keep his mouth shut, talking doesn't do him any favours (at least when he's on stage, he does have good looks and awesome chemistry with Simone, but I don't find him much of an entertainer).

What Nockers forgot to mention was her near pushing over Floor Jansen just to say the afore mentioned and somewhat giggly "oooh you're Mark Jansen!" line, which still beats my opening gambit when meeting Ray Winston of "my names Ray too!"

Looking forward to them coming back over in support of the new album, last tour was really good fun and quite excited for this release, just glad there's no anti Dutch metal sentiments at Nuclear Blast or distributors ;)