Escapist

Epica

1,830 posts in this topic

Floor understood...she is a woman with eyes, after all.... :P

And angel_heart understands too...so it's just you, then, O Lanky One :P

It leaked, im not impressed :( its all over the place , maybe with more listens it will sound right

Listened to the album, its pretty boring to me...

So you pushed over Floor, in order to talk to....Mark Jansen?! Where in the hell is this world going?

Nononono Baki - I'd already spent ages talking to Floor (twice, and I still maintain she's one of the very few women I'd ever turn for cos she is absolutely gorgeous in person) so it was more a case of sidling off, shoving Lanky out of the way and skidding to a halt in front of Mark before squeaking "you're Mark Jansen!" like an idiot. Floor's waaaaay too awesome to shove out the way, and I did go back and talk to her afterwards without sounding like a total spaz - I'm still not 100% sure why speaking to Mark made me sound like a moron when I could speak like a relatively normal person to Floor, but there you go. :giggle:

I think it would be kinda impossible to shove off Floor literally, unless you're...you know, two metres tall. :P

Hmm... hard to make a first impression on this new album. I can't say I don't like it, but it hasn't grabbed me like "Design Your Universe" did so quickly. It took me many listens to really like Imaginaerum and now I'm in love with it, lol. So I'm going to listen to this new album a lot before I really decide how I feel.

I listened to it... Still think my favorite album is The Divine Conspiracy. Nothing really grabbed me from this new one, but like CenturyChild625 said, I might just have to give it more time.

After the first samples of Monopoly on Truth I was a bit scared the album could end in a big failure, but I can say I like it a lot better than Design Your Universe. I think Monopoly on Truth, Deep Water Horizon, and Deter The Tyrant same as Avalanche are my favourites yet. Did somebody notice that Serenade of Self-Destruction can only be found as instrumental on the limited edition? Nevertheless, I am really happy that I bought the mailorder edition in order to get the instrumental version of the album as well.

I predicted that RFTI would be quintessential Epica, and I was right. I never expected them to deviate from their core sound, but I did expect them to refine their sound and highlight their strengths over their weaknesses. I've listened to the songs, and I have to say that it's just as good an album as DYU was, perhaps even better. It feels a lot more melodic and a lot more straightforward, and I think that the subject matter is handled pretty well - It seems to be all about greed, political revolution, the censorship of truth in the media, government corruption and most importantly, the indifference of the masses to all of it - familiar ground for Epica, but it feels a lot more relevant than it did three years ago. I have to say that I was feeling the same way as most people were about this album. It did not grab me like Design Your Universe did - I think it was because it's slightly less heavy and aggressive than DYU in it's sound, because this time around the heaviness and aggression is brought about more through the subject matter.

One thing I really appreciated was the absence of those incredibly cheesy spoken word sections (Think Kingdom of Heaven, Seif al Din and Resign to Surrender.)

I do not count the Gadaffi extract in Deter the Tyrant, or the news reporters talking over each other in Serenade of Self-Destruction - that sort of thing is distinct from Epica's typical spoken word parts. I'm glad they're moving away from that sort of thing, because it was a very distracting part of otherwise good songs.

It's an incredibly solid album, and I'm actually enjoying all the songs, which I can't say for a few of their past albums. The general consensus I seem to gather from most reviews I've read is that Epica get better with each album, and I see no reason to disagree.

^Nice review.

It still sounds kind of preachy to me, but I do relate very much to this whole "***** is going down and nobody even cares" theme. I feel that way constantly, so much. I'm a very sensitive person, with an extremely strong moral compass. To see people's rights being slowly eroded, and nobody even cares, exasperates me more than I can say. Indifference is something that has just never been programmed into me; I care, and I care to my own detriment, about everything.

For that reason I think I may enjoy this album, and the music seems good, but I am getting rather tired of Epica's preachy messages in their music. It's fine sometimes, but this whole "we must" business is a bit irritating. I know it's just their opinions, and I'm not saying they shouldn't express them, but it is a little annoying when that is the MAIN theme of every album, how much humanity sucks. :P

Yeah the preachiness is definitely there in full force - I guess we can't expect anything less from them, and I guess if Epica truly believe that there will be a "Requiem for the Indifferent" that they feel it's their duty to try and bring it into public consciousness. Wouldn't be much fun at concerts if all their fans were dead.

I mean Epica told us we were all going to die. They said as much when they released the album title.

"This title refers to the end of an era. Mankind can no longer stick their head in the sand for the things that are happening around us. We are facing many challenges. There is an enormous tension between different religions and cultures, wars, natural disasters and a huge financial crisis, which is getting out of control. More than ever we will need each other to overcome these problems. As we are all connected; the universe, earth, nature, animals and human beings, this period in time will be the prelude to the end for those who still don't want to, or simply won't see it. A Requiem for the Indifferent but also a possibility for a new beginning with great new chances!"

Well okay, we're not all going to die. If you're not indifferent you get to live! Hurrah!

But seriously, I do feel like RFTI is a different kind of preachiness - it's less grounded in New Age type beliefs (although there's still a definite undercurrent of that flowing throughout the album, it's just not as big a focus as it was on something like DYU) and more focused in reality. If you compare the concepts behind their last two albums to the concept of this album, I think that this album's concept is a lot more approachable for that reason.

I'd also like to comment on how much I like that Nightwish and Epica's new albums both seem to be about human nature on different levels. RFTI on a social level and iRum on a more personal level. Both have doom, gloom and a bit of hope mixed in. One is an album for the realist, and the other is an album for the idealist. I think it's good to have a bit of both. I'm such a sucker for this type of music. :P

^Me too! :D

I definitely think of myself as an idealist, to be honest, which is probably why NW appeals to me more. I do love Epica, they might be my favourite band behind NW, but sometimes their music is infinitely more depressing, in a way, because even if I find the preachiness annoying, they do have some good points. BTW, that quote is kind of messed up - everyone who is indifferent will die? Wow. :/

I really like your contrasting of the two albums, it sounds very interesting. I've already preordered Requiem for the Indifferent, so I'll have it pretty soon, but I still am pretty curious. :)

I can not stop listening to this album...

"Twin Flames" Is just phenomenal, It makes me think of my boyfriend and how much I love him and its just amazing.

This album is amazing... I've honestly never really listening to Epica's lyrics minus their ballads, so I can't say much for those because I don't know them, but I can not stop talking about how amazing this album is musically. Out of all the new albums I've listened to in the part year (Including: Leaves' Eyes, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Dream Theater..etc) I can honestly say that this album has not disappointed me one ounce since I got it (much like the others did in their own way) But this is just so amazing.

Its different enough so that you can appreciate it being new and late, but similar enough to love the same Epica that you always have.

I'm listening to Monopoly on Truth right now and it is so catchy and amazing! Gracious! I applaud you, Epica. :)

I do not count the Gadaffi extract in Deter the Tyrant, or the news reporters talking over each other in Serenade of Self-Destruction - that sort of thing is distinct from Epica's typical spoken word parts. I'm glad they're moving away from that sort of thing, because it was a very distracting part of otherwise good songs.

Gadaffi samples?! *facepalm*

Oh well, I shouldn't have expected anything better, it is Epica after all.... I am pleased to hear there aren't any 'YOU HAVE TO GO BACK!' sections though haha.

I do agree with crimrose, that the concept of this album sounds more promising (I plan to download it tomorrow, when the $$$ comes in). Indifference to social and political happenings is an extremely detrimental thing, I've thought that for years now, just about the situation here in Australia, let alone worldwide. As I'm sure I've said before, however, I've never found Epica's execution to be the best... I will reserve judgement. I'm sure I'll find something to like about RFTI. At the very least, I sure am curious!

No one is talking love for Internal Warfare! *GASPS, falls over* that's like the best song on the album!

Yeah that's one of my favourites along with Monopoly On Truth!

For me Deep Water Horizon, Deter the Tyrant, Twin Flames, Serenade of Self-Destruction, and Guilty Demeanor are my top songs. It's a different album and takes some getting used to. It's far more progressive and there is a lot of different things going on. That's not a bad thing but it will make it fun to hear it again and again to maybe hear things that I did not hear the first or 2nd time.

It's also heavy but I like that what they did with the sound is that I don't need to turn it all the way up to feel that heavy sound. Do I like it better then DYU? Well it's to early but I think it could be a tie with me.

So far I liste there albums as such

Design Your Universe

The Divine Conspiracy

The Phantom Agony

Conisgn to Oblivion

Requiem for the Indifferent will fall either above DYU or between TDC and DYU. I'm not sure which yet though. But so far I like it do I miss Simone not using her opare like voice? To be honest I liked it in Tides of Time. But I like it her normal voice to. She used her normal voice in DYU but not like what is heard here. So it will take a little getting used to. But so far I like it just the same. It is up to her as to what voice she wants to use any ways.

I've listened to the new album twice, and it still hasn't managed to catch my attention, at least not the way DYU did. DYU had catchy melodies you could sing along to (like "Unleashed" for example), and beautiful ballads with amazing vocal lines (like "Tides of Time"), something this album seems to be lacking. I know I should probably give it another listen, but for some reason I just can't find the will to make myself hear it again, even though Epica is one of my favorite bands. My impression after listening to it these two times is of an album constituted from a compilation of demos. In each song I get the impression that the band is making up the melodies as they go along, and even "Storm the Sorrow", which is supposed to be the most catchy song on the album (or so I heard), is not catchy enough to actually grab my interest. I also don't appreciate the vocal lines as much as I did on the past albums. They seem less varied, like Simone is holding herself back to leave more space for the music. I guess the band was trying to make an important change to their sound and I'm just puzzled by it. I'll give it another listen before making my final judgement. It might be a good thing actually. Usually, when I like an album immediately at first listen, I get bored of it very quickly. I guess RFI is an album that could end up growing on me. We'll see. :)

The album is finally growing on me more. I love the melodies and it is still very heavy, just in a different way than DYU. However, my only problem is that many of the melodies feel reused. I listen to songs and swear I've heard that melody or this melody somewhere before. That might be my only problem with it. But they are lovely songs.

This album reminds me much more of The Divine Conspiracy than Design Your Universe. Still letting the songs sink in. I will say that I think Monopoly on Truth and Delirium are definitely my two favorites on the album. Monopoly on Truth is ridiculously good. I also quite like Deep Water Horizon.

It's not as diverse as their last album - it seems like they're taking a step back to what Epica used to be. Not sure yet how I feel about it.

Simone delivers a stunning performance all over though. She is an incredible asset to them.

This album sounds horrible to me apart from Simone's voice. Could they at least try to make the choirs sound real instead of 3 grandmas singing?

^LOL, that bad? :lol:

Anyway, we STILL have not received our "pre-order" yet. The album was out a week ago here, and we ordered it at least a week and a half before that...I am never ordering from Nuclear Blast again, they are terrible with "pre-orders", obviously.

I really don't know if to say it's a good album or a bad one.

It sounds pretty much the same to Design Your Universe, which i didn't like most of it's songs for many reasons. In this album again Simone's voice gets totally lost with the music, since DYU she's been singing in a different way and I'm ok with that, but I don't like the fact that I really don't know what should I be listening on top of everything. It feels like they tried to make the choruses, the main voices and the rest of the music equally important that in the end they all lose presence and the result is such a plain mix.

When I listen to this album there's a point I loose interest because everything sounds pretty much the same and I feel I've been listening to the same track for hours.

Divine Conspiracy is for me, the best epica album, and what I like most of that album is the diversity of music in each song with the others and with itself, and how all sound at the same time as part of the whole piece. I think that's what's been missing in DYU and Requiem. (But then, I'm not saying they are bad albums)

^LOL, that bad? :lol:

Anyway, we STILL have not received our "pre-order" yet. The album was out a week ago here, and we ordered it at least a week and a half before that...I am never ordering from Nuclear Blast again, they are terrible with "pre-orders", obviously.

Mine arrived pretty quickly! of course i'm nearer to them than you are but i don't know i found their service pretty good!