Escapist

Epica

1,740 posts in this topic

This album sounds horrible to me apart from Simone's voice. Could they at least try to make the choirs sound real instead of 3 grandmas singing?

This reminds me of one time when I showed my friend The Kinslayer and he said it sounded like "a load of grannies killing each other."

what? For me the Choirs are one of the strenght of Epica music.... they are amazing ....

I didn't mean to imply that I agree with Majestico, I think Epica's choirs are hugely impressive. The intensity with which they sing is really awesome!

what? For me the Choirs are one of the strenght of Epica music.... they are amazing ....

That's what I consider their strong point too, Simone can sound awesome at times, but for the most part I think she's either too screamy or too sickenly sweet, Marc is not what I would call a good growler, the lyrics uh.... there's a bit hit&miss with the lyrics, but the orchestra and choirs are kickass, those are the parts I like most in their music.

As for the new album, it's ok. It didn't stuck to me as Consign to Oblivion and The Phantom Agony stuck to me, but then again neither did the previous album. It's enjoyable to listen to, though, and honestly after all the bad music I've heard from bands I thought they have some potential, enjoyable is good too. I especially like Avalanche and Serenade of self destruction and I noticed that Simone tends to sound a lot like Floor sometimes. Yeah, that's all the insightful opinion I can give. I couldn't be bothered to listen to the lyrics, it takes quite a few listens for me to get to the lyrics as well (for some bands I never do).

I will definitely agree about Mark's growls...To be honest, I don't get the hype, there are about a hundred bands out there with much better growling vocalists...Something tells me that if he wasn't one of the main members...Anyway, the album is meh...Avalanche and Serenade of Self-Destruction are the best(only because they have their moments and some epic climaxes), but the rest are pretty much like clones of the previous album which didn't make such an impression on me.The goosebumps from The Divine Conspiracy is a thing that they haven't managed to give me with their recent releases.

Now, the lyrics...Why does a band have to talk about the same things again and again and again especially when it's about the type of things that will never change, especially not from a metal band.Yes, I am talking about the war and human greed and everything lyrics.I get their agony and that they want to express that, but for everyone that has done even the smallest research or studies on the matter, it's just plain childish and immature.

^^^ I couldn't agree more with the two previous posts. I'd been hoping that, by now, their lyrics might have branched out into something different, or, at least, something more subtle. The subject matter *could* work, I guess, but at least finesse it a bit guys! Their affinity for using samples from polliticians is just plain annoying to me - and it also makes the music seem dated very very quickly.

And yeah, I've always thought Simone a talented singer, though never my favourite for some reason; she does sound a bit too sweet at times... maybe it would be nice if she could 'let loose' a bit more, like Anette in Irum :) And Mark is really, really not a great growler lol. I must say, though, I actually thought the death vocals sounded more in place in this album than in previous ones. I enjoyed it, overall, more than DYU. Certainly not a bad album by any means.

I don't agree about Mark comments... Well yeah he's not the best growler/screamer but he's good enough for the band style, and live he's awesome and impressive.... I agree they repeat themselves a LOT it's main main criticism for the band but the album it's growing on me, I like it more and more it's not their best tho' but love the progressive elements , the choir and guitar riffs...

One more thing., I don't know where the comparison of Simone sounding like Floor is coming from I don't agree at ALL...

Don't get me wrong, I like Marc, I really do (mostly because he's hot and not because he's talented, but hey, at least I like him for something :P), but let's be honest, he's not that much of a growler. At least not enough to consider him a strong point (I wouldn't consider him a weak point either, he's like you said, ok for this band).

As for the Simone & Floor comparison, on the first few songs I thought she had some moments when she sounded remarkably much like Floor in the high register. It's not a regular thing, but I guess she borrowed a bit from Floor's singing style.

^^^ Wow Simone is trying to break the 53rd RULE?! :blink: This is something I don't want to hear ... NEVER!

One more reason for me not to like her ... Joking.

Simone sounds quite good on CDs, although she doesn't use her full capacy of singing. And this is what bothers me the most with her voice. To me she always sounds pushed and lacking power (or breath). But maybe with time she'll learn how to use it (and for Crist sake - she has such wonderful LOW register, why the Hell she is torturing herself with high screa ... pardon ... singing?!?! )

I don't think Simone sings as consistently high on this album as on the others... that amazing part in Delirium where she goes crazy low, for example, that was very unexpected.

Don't know - I've heard only Storm the Sorrow and wasn't impressed :)

I'm really liking the album, its really good - though I probably wont think of it as a masterpiece like DYU.

My only problem these days is...all the focus on Simone. I mean I like her, she is beautiful, I agree, and I also I'm not as critical towards her singing as others like to be. I mostly like what she does, also live. However, I'm getting quite annoyed with her fronting everything and being in every darn interview I see. Turn on YouTube, and all comments are about her. It is becoming much worse than it ever was with Tarja and NW. I like the gal and everything, but Epica is more than her! Rant over...

Don't know - I've heard only Storm the Sorrow and wasn't impressed :)

Listening to the lead single of an album usually isn't the best way to judge it, in my experience. :P Especially with Epica, their lead singles tend to be totally non-representative of the rest of their albums. Never Enough is the best example - it sticks out like a sore thumb on TDC.

Storm the Sorrow is more like the rest of the album than usual, but it's still very obviously crafted to be a single.

You can't not give songs like Delirium, Internal Warfare, Twin Flames, or Deep Water Horizon a try, before passing on the album entirely. Those ones are my favourite ones, I find them to be of undeniable quality, but of course that's a matter of taste. I think you should give it a chance before dismissing it entirely, but of course it's up to you. :)

Serenade of Self-Destruction is SO GOOD. That is all.

Listening to the lead single of an album usually isn't the best way to judge it, in my experience. :P Especially with Epica, their lead singles tend to be totally non-representative of the rest of their albums. Never Enough is the best example - it sticks out like a sore thumb on TDC.

Storm the Sorrow is more like the rest of the album than usual, but it's still very obviously crafted to be a single.

You can't not give songs like Delirium, Internal Warfare, Twin Flames, or Deep Water Horizon a try, before passing on the album entirely. Those ones are my favourite ones, I find them to be of undeniable quality, but of course that's a matter of taste. I think you should give it a chance before dismissing it entirely, but of course it's up to you. :)

Maybe. I just don't listen them so much. But Unleashed was quite good single :P

And, yes - tried Avalanche, Delirium, Serenade and Requiem... Not bad for sure, but that's all I can say. As you said - a matter of taste. These days I'm on Opeth and Symphony X wave and deffinatly can't give an objective comment. :)

I just bought the album and listened to it all the way through. My favorites are Storm the Sorrow (I dunno, even though it's generic-ish I still like it), Delirium (those LOW notes!), and Avalanche (the last 30 seconds are gorgeous). Will listen to it a few more times, but overall, I still think it's only a decent album. I feel like a lot of the riffing and guitar work is copy-pasted throughout the songs. Every riff sounds like the one from Monopoly on Truth.

i really like the new album! at first i was bored and didn't enjoyed it but now i find it great! my favourite has to be serenade of self destruction! i love those lyrics!

I just listened to the album again and still nothing... the music bothered me more than anything because a lot of the songs sound the same to me. At times I found it even annoying and was tempted to turn it off. This is really sad because Epica is one of my top favorite bands and I absolutely adored DYU and everything they'd done in the past. One reviewer compared this album to Mark's work in Mayan because it featured elements of death metal. Personally I hope Epica will not pursue that influence in future works. :/ I'm not a fan of death metal, and I'd much rather prefer for Epica to return to more melodic roots.

Meh. This is really just Design Your Universe: The Sequel. It has some nice moments, but over-all I just find it to be the lesser sibling of their previous album. DYU at least had that very epic feel about it, RFTI just feels like a cheap copy.

Epica are coming to Toronto on October 31st! So tempted to go. :P

I also feel that this album doesn't have the same staying-power with me as DYU. I can't point to what it is, everything sounds like it should be as great as before, but somehow I'm just not as captivated by this as DYU.

And so the video for Storm the Sorrow has been realeased.

[media]

[/media]

I simply love the visuals, and how they play around with it. Beautiful. Such a shame that the first time Epica makes an interesting video it is for one of their weaker songs.

Quite an interesting day. New vids from Epica and Storm Corrosion (Mikael Åkerfeldt and Steven Wilsons project) + the Imaginærum trailer!

I like the visuals for this video, but I think it wasn't executed as well as it could have been. There didn't seem to have been much flow or concept to it. To me it's all just fancy visuals of Simone looking hot while she is attacked by the alien symbiote from Spiderman interspliced with brief shots of the other band members looking angry. Oh there's also some wolves and an eagle for some reason.

It doesn't make sense, and it cuts from scene to scene too quickly to begin to even try making any sense of it, but it's nice to look at.

^Simone or someone said the song was about dealing with criticism. So I think the black goo stuff that gets sticky and starts to pull at them...is criticism. Criticism trying to pull her/them apart, whilst they struggle against being torn one way or the other. But yeah, unless you already knew that, it would be hard to get what the video is about.