Escapist

Epica

2,187 posts in this topic

Or just something like An Acoustic Night at the Theatre by Within Temptation.

8 hours ago, ThePhantom said:

I'm listening to a new DYU edition at the moment and It's great. The new mix/master brought a new light to the songs and the acoustic versions are just phenomenal. Simone is also at the top of her game on the new acoustic tracks.

So they(songs) was being. Mixed and mastered anew?

33 minutes ago, Speckofdust said:

So they(songs) was being. Mixed and mastered anew?

Yes, by Joost who was the producer of TQE and THP

@SpeckofdustHm, well I can certainly hear a world of difference. But I'm also very familiar with the originals.

A new music video.

Release is today but I didn't even get a send notification of my pre order yet. Nuclear Blast pls :(

48 minutes ago, Speckofdust said:

Hear no difference..

I also hear significant difference, especially in some songs but as Eilenna said, It may be due to big familiarity with the songs. You will also need a little better audio system that laptop or phone speakers to notice larger differences. 

Also, did you hear the difference between tracks on the Decades album and their original masters?

Live premiere of In All Conscience, the stage and the band looks great!

Just came back home from the concert in Oberhausen and I'm blown away. I can't believe it took me so long to finally see Epica live! 

It was so energetic, epic... I'm speechless. 

"Martyr of The Free World" sounded a bit off in some parts but apart from that Epica were simply incredible. 

They did play the whole album "Design Your Universe" apart from "White Waters" and "Incentive". They also performed "Beyond The Matrix" and a couple of older tracks like "Consign To Oblivion" and "Cry For The Moon". 

A true highlight: They did perform "In All Conscience" for the very first time! #worldpremiere

I witnessed the notorious wall of death and the mosh pit but thankfully, I didn't get squeezed or crushed since I was close to the wall. 

The stage looks awesome as well. The lightning and Pyro effects suit the songs. 

I bought the new edition of "Design Your Universe" and I only had to pay 15 Euros (cheaper than buying it at a CD store). 

I also got to meet all members of Blackbriar, had a short chat, got both EP's signed and a picture with Zora. 

I'm deliriously happy and I l have liked Epica before but after tonight, I simply love them. 

What a f**king night!! 

I listened to the original version. Then compared it to the remastered version.

Wow. What a difference! Design Your Universe has just become my favourite album again out of Epica's discography.

Songs sound clearer. More powerful. The choir sounds better too.

8 hours ago, GhostHell said:

Live premiere of In All Conscience, the stage and the band looks great!

I would kill to see this song live. (Not literally, no need to call the cops.) One of my favorites and shouln't have been just a bonus track.

8 hours ago, Mainshow said:

"Martyr of The Free World"

*Martyr of the Free Word :P

32 minutes ago, Imaginarium said:

I would kill to see this song live. (Not literally, no need to call the cops.) One of my favorites and shouln't have been just a bonus track.

*Martyr of the Free Word :P

OMG! I've sung along that track in a wrong way for 10 years (including yesterday....) 

Knowing the lyrics, it totally makes sense but I've always thought it was "Free World" (which would also make sense since it's only a free world when messengers can spread the word, their opinion, etc). 

I'm in shock. 

6 minutes ago, Mainshow said:

OMG! I've sung along that track in a wrong way for 10 years (including yesterday....) 

Knowing the lyrics, it totally makes sense but I've always thought it was "Free World" (which would also make sense since it's only a free world when messengers can spread the word, their opinion, etc). 

I'm in shock. 

I mean I also got it wrong for a long time. :D I think there's like a popular lyric video on YouTube that has it wrong.

Good to know I am not the only one... 

BTW, Jen Majura (Evanescence) attended the concert as well! 

Now that I listened to the Gold Edition (after blasting the new Insomnium on repeat yesterday, highly recommended) I have to say the new mix and master do make a big difference. It might even make this my favorite Epica album (and symphonic metal album) over The Quantum Enigma.

The new mix seems to pretty much respect the original. I haven't listened to them back to back yet, but the new one seems to be more bass heavy making it sound a bit heavier, and maybe the orchestrations are a bit more forward at some points. The big picture in the mix is really similar though and I think the mastering makes the bigger difference. It sounds more crisp and clear. 

The acoustic tracks also seem to get better with each release. With The Quantum Enigma they were ok, with The Holographic Principle they were good and with this one they are great. 

I've seen on their social medias that they are also writing songs for the new album. Do you think late 2020 release is likely? It's interesting to see what they will come up to this time, and does playing the Design Your Universe shows influence their writing. The Holographic Principle was kind of hit and miss for me. The great songs are amazing (Divide and Conquer, Once Upon a Nightmare, the title track...) but some songs are pretty mediocre or forgettable. (The Cosmic Algorithm, Tear Down Your Walls...) The album also doesn't flow as smoothly as Design Your Universe or The Quantum Enigma. I hope they will try some new things next time.

I haven't had the chance to listen to the new Gold Edition apart from the Acoustic songs yet (I still need to recover from yesterday's epic night with Epica) but it's really interesting to read your post. 

I'll try to focus on the changes when it comes to mastering. 

I fully agree on your observation regarding the acoustic tracks. Simone really went all in this time, vocally. Personally, I also think tht they have been amazing on THP as well. Since their songs are usually quite bombastic, energetic and epic, it's such a great experience to encounter these amazing tracks in a more stripped-down and laid-back atmosphere. That's why I do support the idea of them releasing something like Within Temtpation's "An Acoustic Night At the Theatre". 

It's interesting that you've mentioned THP to be hit or miss for you because I have the same but yet completely different impression. It's my second-favourite album by Epica because of its diversity. It got the complex lyrics and epic sounds but also some more experimental ad well as more accessible tracks. 

However, I need to listen to their albums again to come up with a proper ranking. 

I just ordered their first two albums because I haven't listened to them at all (and don't own them). I've got the Expanded Versions but I need to wait for almost 2 wks to finally get them.

A new album by Epica 2020 wouldn't be far-fetched. Usually, they are quite ambitious and it seems that they've become much faster than WT or NW in terms of releasing new material. It will be interesting to see in which direction they will go when it comes to lyrics, though. 

I'm 99% sure that the new album will be released September-October 2020. It's not far-fetched at all imo. They have already started writing and they only have like three shows planned for 2020 for now. Seems quite likely.

I really love Simone's operatic vocals these days. So vibrant, and I dare say she's at her best when singing like that. Her breathy contemporary vocals also sound pretty. She reminds me a bit of Sarah Brightman. I'm still waiting on my copy of the remastered DYU, but I've no doubt it sounds as amazing as people say. It's definitely one of their best albums. I really hope they give The Divine Conspiracy and especially Requiem for the Indifferent the same treatment at some point in the future.

10 hours ago, Magnus said:

I really love Simone's operatic vocals these days. So vibrant, and I dare say she's at her best when singing like that. Her breathy contemporary vocals also sound pretty. She reminds me a bit of Sarah Brightman. I'm still waiting on my copy of the remastered DYU, but I've no doubt it sounds as amazing as people say. It's definitely one of their best albums. I really hope they give The Divine Conspiracy and especially Requiem for the Indifferent the same treatment at some point in the future.

Really hope a remix/remaster of Requiem as well, as it suffers the most from it's lackluster production.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:04 AM, Imaginarium said:

Really hope a remix/remaster of Requiem as well, as it suffers the most from it's lackluster production.

It's really intersting that the same producers were involved in Requiem For The Indifferent and Design Your Universe but Requiem looks pale in comparion.

+ I don't get that "Serenade Of Self-Destruction" at all. It's way too long for an interlude.

19 hours ago, Mainshow said:

It's really intersting that the same producers were involved in Requiem For The Indifferent and Design Your Universe but Requiem looks pale in comparion.

+ I don't get that "Serenade Of Self-Destruction" at all. It's way too long for an interlude.

How do you mean interlude? You are listening to the version with full vocals and not the instrumental version that was accidentally included on some copies, right?

I agree completely about a Requiem remaster though. It's one of my favourite Epica albums already, but if they let Joost loose to work his magic on the record it would really do wonders for it.

Oh, and I was another of those who always thought it was "Free World" and not "Word". I had to question my existence when I found that one out! :P

On 10/8/2019 at 9:03 PM, Yoshee said:

How do you mean interlude? You are listening to the version with full vocals and not the instrumental version that was accidentally included on some copies, right?

I agree completely about a Requiem remaster though. It's one of my favourite Epica albums already, but if they let Joost loose to work his magic on the record it would really do wonders for it.

Oh, and I was another of those who always thought it was "Free World" and not "Word". I had to question my existence when I found that one out! :P

He? I bought the album on the week of its release. "Serenade of Self-destruction" is basically an instrumental interlude on my album. I think there are a few vocals of Simone at the beginning of the track (no lyrics, just sounds) as well as a choir somewhere later in the song... 

Wow! Are you really telling me that I've been annoyed by this track for many years without knowing that I just got a "wrong copy" of the album? 

How do I get the right version of the song? I'd love to hear it and put it into my iTunes Library... That utterly tad long instrumental song in the middle of the album has always bothered me... 

@MainshowI also bought the CD in the release week and I remember the social media posts about it.  Something went wrong in the manifacturing process of the CDs. I think they sent the wrong track to the factories  or something like that. There were announcements on social media about it. Nuclear Blast took the CDs with the wrong track back if you had a receipt. As a intermediate replacement they put up a download of a MP3 and a loseless file on their website. That's what I have. I threw away my receipt before learned about the wrong track on the CD.

The correct version with vocals and everything is on streaming websites like Spotify, Google Play Music, etc and on the CDs that were produced afterwards.

That sucks, especially because Serenade is one of the best songs on the album.  @Mainshowyou're in for a treat. :)