Escapist

Epica

2,187 posts in this topic

However, it's not in the middle of the album. It's actually the last song. Are we definitely talking about the right track? :P There's also Anima which is indeed an interlude and is somewhere in the middle of the album, but it only lasts one or 2 minutes.

Here it is, the proper album version:

The Retrospect live performance is also good! But yeah, many copies of the album were affected by the mis-pressing. I'm sure you can do some research to find which ones have the proper version via Discogs.

3 hours ago, Mainshow said:

He? I bought the album on the week of its release. "Serenade of Self-destruction" is basically an instrumental interlude on my album. I think there are a few vocals of Simone at the beginning of the track (no lyrics, just sounds) as well as a choir somewhere later in the song... 

Wow! Are you really telling me that I've been annoyed by this track for many years without knowing that I just got a "wrong copy" of the album? 

How do I get the right version of the song? I'd love to hear it and put it into my iTunes Library... That utterly tad long instrumental song in the middle of the album has always bothered me... 

Yes, I think it was some of the first edition copies that were printed with the wrong version of the song.

Oh man, you're in for a treat though, the "real" version with vocals is so much better!

I think it's on streaming services so if you have anything like Spotify they should have the proper version of the song.

I really wish the band would perform it live more, they've only played it a select few times but it's one of their best long songs and one of the best tracks on the album, it deserves to be performed more often.

I have a version with the wrong track too, but always found it kinda funny. I see it as a collector's item, the faulty first pressing of the CD :)

I got the right version of the track as digital download from Nuclear Blast as soon as it become available. I remember being amazed at how big it was in file size, like they really gave people the highest quality imaginable... though I personally don't hear the difference with a regular MP3

That's actually how they tried to spin it with the PR. But since more copies were affected than not, it's hard to argue it's a collector's item.

I think Requiem is their second best album after DYU, but it could definitely use some further polish. The one, most likely unintentional, benefit from how raw it sounds is that it's not been compressed to death. Sadly, if they do remix it at some point I expect it to get brickwalled, like their other albums.  I'd love an updated version that sounds more polished without sacrificing a ton of dynamic range in the process.

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

The one, most likely unintentional, benefit from how raw it sounds is that it's not been compressed to death. Sadly, if they do remix it at some point I expect it to get brickwalled, like their other albums.  I'd love an updated version that sounds more polished without sacrificing a ton of dynamic range in the process.

This is a good point. The newer albums have such a low dynamic range that they are tiring to listen to, especially with headphones. I think this also applies to the new edition of DYU. It sounds bigger and more polished, but pretty brickwalled. That's one thing I don't like about Joost's productions. Nightwish seemed to take a step into right direction with EFMB's mastering, and I hope Epica would also follow that path in the future. But seems unlikely as long as Joost produces them.

I'd also just like to mention that the acoustic versions included with the Gold Edition are all great, but especially the title track! So good!

Thank you, guys! I really wasn't aware of the fact that the track which ended up on the album wasn't the final one! 

I'm so happy that I just mentioned the fact that I had always been so unsatisfied with track and that you guys came up with so many posts! I just got on the Internet and found the link to thst page of Nuclear Blast's page which offered the "free download". Unfortunately, it doesn't work properly anymore (which is kind of understandable after all these years). Anyway, I just sent an e-mail to Nuclear Blast and asked them if they could help me out... 

Spotify might be a good solution but I haven't used it since 2016. I prefer purchasing music to fully support the artist. 

Thanks for posting the YouTube video, Magnus! I just listened to the track and I absolutely love it. It has become more enjoyable and complex, for sure. I like the minimal oriental touches when Simone sings and the lyrics are great as well! 

I need to get that song ASAP to put it into my favourite Epica songs Playlist on iTunes! Wow, it might end up being one of my favourite ones from the album! 

57 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I'd also just like to mention that the acoustic versions included with the Gold Edition are all great, but especially the title track! So good! 

Agree!!! :D

12 hours ago, Mainshow said:

I need to get that song ASAP to put it into my favourite Epica songs Playlist on iTunes! Wow, it might end up being one of my favourite ones from the album! 

Maybe buy it on iTunes then?

15 hours ago, Imaginarium said:

Maybe buy it on iTunes then?

I will wait for Nuclear Blast to respond but yeah, that was my initial thought (it still to buy something you have already paid for and didn't get in the end, though. + I actually don't knoe iTunes's fate. I think that Apple is kinda sacrificing it for a new app right now. 

On 10/10/2019 at 4:19 PM, Imaginarium said:

This is a good point. The newer albums have such a low dynamic range that they are tiring to listen to, especially with headphones. I think this also applies to the new edition of DYU. It sounds bigger and more polished, but pretty brickwalled. That's one thing I don't like about Joost's productions. Nightwish seemed to take a step into right direction with EFMB's mastering, and I hope Epica would also follow that path in the future. But seems unlikely as long as Joost produces them.

On the one hand I kind of agree, but on the other hand I really do love Joost's mixing/mastering when compared to a lot of others in the genre. I'm not really an audiophile, but there are much worse and muddier-sounding albums to me (*cough*Moonbathers*cough*), that even if Joost's mixes still sound loud (and I guess brickwalled), I find the instruments and vocals still sound clear and crisp and are well balanced in the mix most of the time and tbh that's usually enough for me.

Just using DYU as an example, the original mix was just as bad in terms of loudness if not worse, and while the new version may still be "brickwalled", at least it overall sounds better in terms of how the instruments sound and how everything is more balanced in the mix. It's no Decades, but it's definitely an improvement.

Maybe if they did remix or remaster Requiem they could make sure it comes out similar to the Consign to Oblivion remaster, which has plenty of dynamic range.