Nienor

Therion

257 posts in this topic

Therion is a Swedish symphonic metal band founded by Christofer Johnsson in 1987. The word "therion" comes from the Greek therion (θηρίον), meaning "Beast," i.e., that of the Christian Book of Revelation. However, the band's name is a homage to the Celtic Frost album To Mega Therion.

Beginning as a death metal band, they later turned to combining orchestral elements with their metal music, employing heavy use of choirs and classical musicians, not only as additions to but also as integral parts of the composition. Therion is the first metal band with fully live orchestra featured. It is also the band which originated, popularised and influenced the symphonic metal genre, cited as "the most adventurous metal band at present". Because of these extents they take in conducting their music, they have been dubbed as "Opera Metal"

Discography

• Of Darkness... (1991)
  • Beyond Sanctorum (1992)
  • Symphony Masses: Ho Drakon Ho Megas (1993)
  • Lepaca Kliffoth (1995)
  • Theli (1996)
  • A'arab Zaraq - Lucid Dreaming (1997)
  • Vovin (1998)
  • Crowning of Atlantis (1999)
  • Deggial (2000)
  • Secret of the Runes (2001)
  • Lemuria (2004)
  • Sirius B (2004)
  • Gothic Kabbalah (2007)
  • Sitra Ahra (2010)

My fave album absolutely still is Symphony Masses: Ho Drakon Ho Megas (1993). It had such a unique sound, no other (death metal) band had that. Weird stuff, oriental and classic sounding, but without orchestra or choirs, just because of the pure freaky guitar work and songwriting.

I hated Lepaca Kliffoth (1995) , because I didn´t like the vocals, that changed on that album (Johnsson tried to get away from death metal growls, but he couldn´t sing either).

The later stuff gone away from the "naive" beginnings and is very professional and clear symphonic metal, which I didn´t find so interesting - or let´s say: touching - anymore. Though there has been always some good songs among the albums, and I like to listen to them.

Nienor, your taste in music is awesome :D

Therion is one of my favourite bands, I'm absolutely in love with Lori and Katarina and Snowy and Thomas, I think this is the best line-up they ever had, Lori is basically one step from perfection and I spent waaaaay too much time on the old forum raving about Therion to have anything remotely interesting that hasn't been beaten to death to say about Therion at this point. But i'm looking forward to their new album, whenever that happens.

Thanks angel_heart ;)

I really like this line-up too, but still think that with Mats Leven they were better. And Lori has become my favourite operatic singer in metal scene long before I saw them life (Sorry Tarja, sorry Vibbi :) ). In "Live Gothic" she just blows the rest of the band.

I agree with MyChildWish - last album (in fact last two albums) are not the same level as classics like Secret of the Runes, Deggial, Vovin, Lemuria and Sirius B

Can't tell anything about their first albums because I started to listen them with Theli

I adore Therion... I've seen them live several times, and they have never disappointed me. I think they have a quite unique sound in the gothic metal scene.

My favorite album would be Secret of the Runes. Ideal mix between really solid metal and operatic elegance.

I've discovered this band thanks innovating "Theli", which is one of my top favourite metal albums of all time. It was 6 years ago, maybe little more.Very good band and one of the most important in metal.

If there is anyone, who don't know their music yet, you have to change it :good:

I really like this line-up too, but still think that with Mats Leven they were better.

I used to think so too, I loved Mats and I was very disappointed with Thomas. I didn't like his attitude at all when I first saw him and I thought his vocals are very shacky (though looking back, I suppose he was just being nervous). But after seeing them live (I mean really being in the audience, not just checking out some youtube videos where you can't always catch the vibe), I think Thomas is better for Therion. Not only is he an exceptional vocalist that can go from operatic singing to rockish singing in no time, but he fits the band better. He's very theatrical and interacts better with the rest of the band. They couldn't have done that little stage play they did this tour during Hellequin with Mats.

As far as female singers go, I think Martina is overrated. Sure, she had a good voice and all, but I don't think she's *that* mind blowing. And I didn't like her stage presence and movements and attitude at all (and it's not only that in Therion stage presence really matters, but I really found her annoying even before witnessing the current live performance direction).

God, will they ever STOP? Nightwish, EA, Eluveitie, Moonspell and now Therion? In the same ***** year? :|

And Anathema :|

And yay for the tour!

I used to think so too, I loved Mats and I was very disappointed with Thomas. I didn't like his attitude at all when I first saw him and I thought his vocals are very shacky (though looking back, I suppose he was just being nervous). But after seeing them live (I mean really being in the audience, not just checking out some youtube videos where you can't always catch the vibe), I think Thomas is better for Therion. Not only is he an exceptional vocalist that can go from operatic singing to rockish singing in no time, but he fits the band better. He's very theatrical and interacts better with the rest of the band. They couldn't have done that little stage play they did this tour during Hellequin with Mats.

As far as female singers go, I think Martina is overrated. Sure, she had a good voice and all, but I don't think she's *that* mind blowing. And I didn't like her stage presence and movements and attitude at all (and it's not only that in Therion stage presence really matters, but I really found her annoying even before witnessing the current live performance direction).

u

oh please you are saying that like voice is not that big thing she was moving like hell and singing in super very powerful way I have never seen a Singer can do even Tarja and sharon cant do it and her movies and dancing very dark and metal and more goth then other therion singers and she has very powerful stage appearers and very cool evil look when she is singing and dont forget this video was taken in 1998

HUmm..another album?? AFAIK they still have one more live album to release...the one that was recorded five years ago, on their 20th annoversary. I don't know...I don't think it's going to be another studio album. And I agree, Martina is overrated. I never liked her movements at all. Their best singer is and has been Lori, followed very closely by Sarah,...

oh please you are saying that like voice is not that big thing she was moving like hell and singing in super very powerful way I have never seen a Singer can do even Tarja and sharon cant do it and her movies and dancing very dark and metal and more goth then other therion singers and she has very powerful stage appearers and very cool evil look when she is singing and dont forget this video was taken in 1998

First of all, use some punctuation, you're almost unintelligible. Second of all, get over yourself. Not everyone has to share your opinion and you don't have to freak out if I don't like your favourite singer. I have heard dozens of other singers with a voice more powerful and more interesting then Martina (and no, believe it or not, Tarja and Sharon are not the standard for good female vocals and most definitely not for powerful female vocals, but since you're saying "not even Tarja and Sharon can sing like her" then I guess it's understandable why Martina seems like a god to you). And I don't give a rat's ass on how "goth" and "evil" she looked with her stage movements, I'm not looking for a performer that can fit into a certain pattern, I'm looking for someone that actually matches the music and doesn't make me worry she's having an epileptic seizure (ok, I'm being mean here, she wasn't *that* bad, but I really didn't enjoy her stage presence, it seemed like she was trying to hard to look gothic and cool and I don't think her outfits and movements fit the atmosphere of the songs).

And what, in 1998 people didn't know how to perform? I know that you are not aware of music and performers existing before the 90's but, be surprised, there's a whole history of artists before that year (which is actually very recent, if you consider the beginnings of rock and metal).

I must agree with Angel_heart. And Tarja is by no means a standard, of course, since she was one of the first classical chicks in metal, people usually take her as a standard. She had ( and still has) inredible potential, but she has decayed during the past few years, and she has been outranked in terms of technique by the likes of Lori, Sarah...and even Floor Jansen.

And no, I do not want a girl having a seizure as a frontwoman.

I think lori is amazing and great but the best Therion singer is [media]

[/media]

^ she is hot :)

@ MyChildwish.

Martina is far from being "The best singer for Therion" especially live. The best choice for the female voices are Lori and Katarina - too bad Katarina decided to quit. I didn't understand where you heard "powerful singing" from Martina. And I've alwas bothered is she on drugs here?

And there's no rule that good singer is the one, who looks more goth

If you ask me

is better singer than Martina

:diablo: Oh god what kind of Savak is this is just kidding :):P

@ angel heart chill out Im not fighting with you :dunno::) , and who is your stander in Goth Symphonic metal world dont tell me lady gaga for sure every body knows who is the best female singer in Queens metal world is TARJA in the old days of from wishes to eternity and Sharon and Floor and she is not god to me but she is very good singer her voice is telling my ear that she did not miss a note even though she was moving a lot count its something not in every singer can do I agree her cloths do not fit but her body moves and look fit therion stage in very strong way and as you can see she was front of the band without help of other singers like now therion days but sahra Jezebel even of that her energy was strong on the stage without mistakes , and maybe you dont care about her evil look but a lot like that as you can see the must watched video by therion on youtube we can see Martina in it and what I like a lot about her that she is trying her best to be metal and cool and goth just to make the fans feel good about the show and 1998 its deferent in that time all this kind of metal was at the beginning of it rise and there was not a lot of easy stage tools and stuff like now so its more hard to make great show with great level of quality I dont say , it cant be happened but it was a lot harder especially for such poor bands like therion with that time. the must great about her is her voice the atmosphere in her voice is so pure and full of feelings that made the song a lot stronger and real and enjoyably :rolleyes:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLYjRn--GI[/media] [media]

[/media] hear the deferents :swoon:

[media]

[/media] and you can hear Martina 's voice her with such emotion :wub:

@Nioner

in all singers Therion I see martiena is the best but for fact Therion never had a bad singer I like lori a lot and Katarina she looks like an Evil dull and I Like them a lot especially when they sing The falling stone in the live Gothic DVD I have watched celebrators Of becoming full I like her voice but there is something missing in her I dont know what it is ? :music:

@ lunar you right I have made fast comment Im sorry for that @ ANgel heart and about punctuation its my bad that I will never let go we ll im not from USA nor England so its kind of hard to stuck with them but I will try :friends:

166497_185147251497988_100000081438133_729508_3736143_n.jpg

Oh god, I actually read that till the very end, I don't know what this says about my patience, but I'm only going to say this once, so read carefully and try to catch my point: famous singer does not equal good singer. And trying your best to look cool and evil even if you don't feel it, just to please the fans is called selling out. And it's not the most positive thing that can be said about an artist.

Lack of punctuation hasn't got rats to do with your not being from USA or UK or whatever. You have punctuation in your own language, right? It's not that hard. Please pay attention to this, because your posts are not very pleasant to read when they're written like one big ramble.

I'll help you out:

"?" is when you asked a question.

"." is when you finish a sentence (ideally, you should begin the next sentence with a capital letter).

"," is when you separate two parts of a sentence. A space where you can "breathe" if you were to read the sentence out loud.

"!" is when you want to stress something, or if you would raise your voice slightly when reading the sentence out loud.

Please, please, PLEASE use these. They're not there for the pretty, they actually have a use. If you talk, you don't go all "and ... and ... and...", so you don't write it like that either. Not a lot of people will go through the trouble of having a conversation with you if they have to plough through that wall of words everytime.

Lack of punctuation hasn't got rats to do with your not being from USA or UK or whatever. You have punctuation in your own language, right? It's not that hard. Please pay attention to this, because your posts are not very pleasant to read when they're written like one big ramble.

I'll help you out:

"?" is when you asked a question.

"." is when you finish a sentence (ideally, you should begin the next sentence with a capital letter).

"," is when you separate two parts of a sentence. A space where you can "breathe" if you were to read the sentence out loud.

"!" is when you want to stress something, or if you would raise your voice slightly when reading the sentence out loud.

Please, please, PLEASE use these. They're not there for the pretty, they actually have a use. If you talk, you don't go all "and ... and ... and...", so you don't write it like that either. Not a lot of people will go through the trouble of having a conversation with you if they have to plough through that wall of words everytime.

;) thanks a lot for help that was amazing help thanks a lot I know it have nothing to do with being in USA or ENGLAND but must who ficos on that are the native speakers :dwarf: and once again thanks a lot Now I now ( ! ) what means :clap:

Every time somebody omits a punctuation sign a baby squirrel dies.

On topic:

My fave album is Vovin!