Sign in to follow this  
TeMpTeR_ThE_MaSk

Myrath - Metal music from the desert

41 posts in this topic

Dunno if I am getting too old or... bands have actually began to sound too much alike. Bits of both, I guess. Well... however, I sometimes cross paths with a few incredible bands which get me thinking: ha! not that I've grown too old for this *****, bands (and metal music genres in general) have, otherwise, in fact, became way too repetitive for my refined taste. I just need to be faced to something new, outstanding...

...like Myrath, for instance, a band from Tunisia (GLARES). It's been hours, since yesterday, that I haven't stopped listening to this true masterpiece:

[LINK TO YOUTUBE SHOULD GO HERE, BUT I FEARED I WOULD BE LINKING THIS BOARD TO COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL, JUST GO TO YOUTUBE AND TYPE "MYRATH TALES OF THE SANDS"]

In one word: PERFECT! In a few more: Absolute win! Megatons of epicness!

Edit: one irritating thing: I "stumbled" on this band while shifting aimlessly from one video to another in youtube. How come such an amazing band is to be found "by accident"? Please, help me spread the word: arabian metal for everyone from the amazing tunisian band, Myrath!

Their web page: http://www.myrath.com

Oh, they sound interesting, I'll check on them! (and that album art is wonderful!)

Excellent band. I'm so glad I found them. I loved them at first listen and their music is such a weird bland. Such a shame they're so underrated. They deserve much more attention.

My personal favorite is "Madness" from album "Desert Call".

GIVE THEM A TRY, you won't regret!

I finally managed to detach myself from the "Tales of the sands" song and tried other ones out from the same album. "Meciless Times" is also amazing. "Beyond the stars" is a killer song too. MULTIPLE EARGASMS GRANTED! What a curious blend of rhythms, ha? Citars(?), percusion mixed with heavy guitars and aggressive drums. IMO, the only solid way how metal music can be reinvented/enhanced is: embracing the multicultural blending!

Edit: Hmm! I mentioned "CITARS", but I am afraid this is not the exact name of the instrument... *****! I dunno what instrument is that, but It adds much to the song. It creates a cool arabian "atmosphere".

Wow ! they have a very catchy tune, Arabian yet somehow mixed with Indian tunes and their singer has a great voice, definitely will be listening to them more !

and they somehow remind me of Kamelot !

Somebody on the Your Recent Musical Discoveries thread posted about them so i decided to check them out, best thing I did that day :D

Yes, yes :D I was the one mentioning them in that thread.

And I am so in love with them. Now that's what I call exotic.

Guys from Myrath in action:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMvqMHST2Is&feature=fvwrel

I guess I can link this time because it's from their official channel!

Nice video clip!

Edit: Is there any how I could link this topic to youtube without getting the videos embedded to my posts?

Edit2: I am seriously enjoying the whole "arabian nights" aura around their music. Is there any other similar band? I mean, not only bands that mix metal and arabian/tunis rhythms. Metal + any-other-exotic-kind-of-music totally suffice!

Edit2: I am seriously enjoying the whole "arabian nights" aura around their music. Is there any other similar band? I mean, not only bands that mix metal and arabian/tunis rhythms. Metal + any-other-exotic-kind-of-music totally suffice!

Well you might want to try "Arkan" they are a death metal band with oriental elemnts :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIqwvni5Ik

I found Myrath about month ago. They're music is interesting, though I haven't had time to listen them as much as I want. One reason why I like them is that they sounds very exotic. As Mistress of Tears said, they somehow reminds of Kamelot. Not the voice of singer but melodies maybe.

It's been about a year since I first discovered this band. Love their latest album. I'm sure many other Nightwish fans will discover them now that they're touring with Tarja.

I actually saw them recently. They were the supporting band for Tarja in her show in Paris. I thought they were interesting. Like other people said, they reminded me of Kamelot. Arab influences in metal are not too much my thing, but this band is great if you like that kind of stuff. :)

I downloaded their last album, tales from the sands ,it's really an extraordinary album .by the way ,I am proud of this group and it's a honor to me to be a fan of this damn rock band ,they do not sing holy ***** like other european rock bands .

and cuz I am tunisian !

I really don't like death rock, but I love too much heavy metal .I don't know ,this is my taste!

By the way ,I am tunisian ,I discovered this band nearly 1week ago. it's an amazing group ,their last album is really successful ,I could guess . I don't know ,in tunisian medias ,they never speak about them . God Damn tunisian Media !

concerning their last album , all the songs r perfect ,no one is less better than the other . But I always listen to those 4 songs "merciless times" "apostrophe for a hero" "tales from the sands" and "beyond the stars" ,the others r not too bad ,but I like those 4 very much.

Posts merged. Use edit-function instead of double posting. -HooPee

I remember I was a bit disappointed when I heard Myrath, probably because of the description "oriental metal" i expected a folk-metal album something like Orphaned land or Amaseffer with many instruments and strong folklore influences and I heard progressive metal something like dream theater with a bit of arabian rhytms even though I think it's a good band

My husband introduced me to them a while a ago. At first I was a bit icky about the strongly oriental parts, but after getting over the innitial "shock", I started to like them more and more. Now I think they're freaking awesome. They don't remind me of Kamelot at all (well, maybe of Nights of Arabia a bit, but that's pretty much it), but they're really good. It's refreshing to hear something different and I love it when metal bands are loyal to their cultural heritage instead of singing in English.

It is! A major improvement over their first album. I've been listening to it a lot ever since it was released. Can't wait for the next one!

They've only released two albums so far. Desert Call is decent, but the jump between that one and Tales of the Sands is similar to that from Angels Fall First to Oceanborn. The first one is pretty good, but the second one just completely blows it out of the water.

I'm so hooked on their new single "Believer" atm! This band needs more recognition :)

Finally the wait is over. It seems like it's been forever since they released Tales of the Sands. Happy to hear that they've still got it.

The Legacy album is a masterpiece! Thanks to this forum I've discovered this group a week ago, and checked out there newest album. And there is not one average or plain song on it, all songs are extremely memorable and unique. I've never listened to any of 'Oriental metal' genre before, but this band really reminds me of Kamelot which I adore. If I have to pick favourites it would be: Nobody's Lives, Beliver, Endure the Silence and The Needle. 

I definitely suggest to check this guys out :)!  

It's an incredible album indeed! Not sure if I like it more than Tales of the Sands, but it's definitely a great follow up!