LFMAC

Sonata Arctica

360 posts in this topic

Sonata Arctica is a Finnish power metal band that has some really good albums out there and just published a DVD with one of their last shows, Live in Finland.

Wikipedia knows much more about them than I do: http://en.wikipedia..../Sonata_Arctica

And here's their official website: http://www.sonataarctica.info

Now, what do you think of them?

Personally, they're my favourite second band after Nightwish and I really like most of their stuff. I think Tony has a great voice and overall I really enjoy their music. What about you all? :)

I've actually really really been wanting to get into Sonata Arctica ever since I first heard about them, but Tony Kakko's voice has put me off for so long and I was never a big fan of power metal. Any suggestions of albums or songs I should check out that might change my mind? I like a few songs off of Days of Grays. (The only individual songs I've heard and liked were Tallulah, No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart and White Pearl, Black Oceans.)

Sonata Arctica is brilliant indeed. I own their last album, which I played to death during the interlude between DDP and Imaginaerum. Tony had already proven his voice to me on songs such as Astral Romance and the live recording of Beauty and the Beast.

In general, their songs are a bit happier than Nightwish's, so they usually replace Nightwish on exceptionally happy days (though with Imaginaerum's light-heartedness, that might change).

My only gripe with them is that Tony writes lyrics so beautifully and then ends up making one very jarring mistake which could've been corrected if he'd just opened google once or twice, though I'll admit, I'm a guy who's really into both bands for their good and deep lyrics, so that's probably just me.

But they are nevertheless awesome! :wub:

@ Aurënfaie: Days of Grays is a great album to check out. Look up songs like "Flag In The Ground" and "Juliet" for the harder songs, and pick "As If The World Wasn't Ending" and "In The Dark" if you want something more akin to ballads.

Hmm, it's difficult if you don't like Tony's voice that much, I think it's Sonata's strongest point, hehe! ;) My favourite one is probably The Cage, but that's too power metal-ish. Check Juliet or The End of this Chapter, for example. Also, I happen to love The Worlds Forgotten, The Words Forbidden, but nobody seems to like that one... and I don't understand! :angry:

Thank you so much for the responses! :D I've always heard people go on about how great they are, and I liked the instrumental aspect of their music, so I really wanted to give them another shot. It takes me awhile to grow into an artist, so I wasn't sure what to start with. I probably just need to get used to his voice, since it's so different than the male singers I usually like, and the main thing that puts me off power metal is the vocals. :)

It took me a while to warm up to Unia and The Days of Grays, because it showed a bit of a shift from the sound I was accustomed to for them (Reckoning Night is still my favorite album of theirs), but now I find that there's some pretty good stuff on those. It's hard to pick any overall favorite songs of mine, though, since every album has featured something I like (although "The Truth Is out There" from TDoG is a close contender as my top favorite right now). Suffice to say, they're up there as one of my top favorite bands overall. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they'll do next.

I still like them when I listen their cds but in live, they are kind of boring. Heard the same setlist too many times etc. Still waiting their new album which will be out next April or May.

^ True, they don't vary their setlist that much, but in a way, I think it's cool that they stick to their older stuff, since they're playing such different music these days. Of course, I'd like them to play some old (and new) songs that they have never played, but one would say that some songs are kind of a "must" (Full Moon, The Cage... you get me ;)) What I did find funny was that Tony, even when I really like him as a frontman and he's lots of fun, always gives the same speeches during shows. I saw them in Spain and in Finland and I didn't even have to ask for translation, since I could clearly see he was going on about the same things. Hehe. :)

Anyways, I still hope I'll find their DVD in a shop here, I don't really wanna order it online and pay shipping costs...

I really enjoy them, but I can't listen to a lot of them at once. After a while, the dooodle ooodee dee gets to me, but it does take a while. A lot of their lyrics crack me up and the sight of a bunch of fans happily singing along to some of the most depressing words in the world as though they've died and gone to heaven is really fun. I've seen them play about three times live and would cheerfully see them again. I also like the singer's stage clothing. On anyone else, it would look really silly but he can play it off and make it look good.

I also like the singer's stage clothing.

I call them pyjamas! ;) Seriously, imo his stage clothes are plain ridiculous, hehe, but I like his stage presence, so that makes up for the rest!

When I say "I hate power metal," just envision that Sonata Arctica is left out of my hate.

They do something with their music that elevates it from being bad. Oh yeah, Tony's voice. :P

Well I very recently discovered (and love) the track "victorias secret" and wondered if anyone can recommend some similar tracks/album.

Oh I simply LOVE this band :D

Great music, nice lyrics and great live band imo :) I love the energy they have on stage (especially Tony xD )

My favorite Sonata Arctica song is White Pearl, Black Oceans, it's just so beautiful!

I also really love The End of This Chapter, Gravenimage, The Last Amazing Grays, Caleb, Juliet, Replica, Victoria's Secret, Don't Say A Word, ahh the list can go on forever xD waha

Can't wait for their next album, apparently they're kinda going back to their older style (no more orchestra) but well that doesn't really say much I think :P

The new DVD is pretty nice, though they should have included more sounds of the audience and stop the fast and flashy cameras!! (and film more of Marko, you can barely see him!)

Oh and I really like Tony's stage outfits xD I like to wear some of those clothes as well so maybe it's because of that xD waha

I've seen them live twice and both times were simply amazing! (filmed some songs, more on my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.c...ghtStar0/videos )

[media]

[/media]

[media]

[/media]

[media]

[/media]

Excellent performers. Favourite song : Full Moon - mostly because when I saw them live , there was a nice full moon in the sky , right above the concert area. Wonderful combination/coincidence.

...(and film more of Marko, you can barely see him!)

This. I thought it was just me but I guess other also noticed.

I was thoroughly unimpressed by the dvd. It might be that Im just not that into them anymore - but I found the mix a bit weak (sounds very thin and a bit "dead" - maybe not enough guitar or low-end crunch?), and I'm simply not very fond of the latest album.

Well I very recently discovered (and love) the track "victorias secret" and wondered if anyone can recommend some similar tracks/album.

Their first three albums (Ecliptica, Silence, and Winterheart's Guild) are all very similar to that style. Winterheart's Guild is the one that Victoria's Secret is on. They start becoming heavier after that.

I saw them live when they opened for Nightwish in the Dark Passion Play concert. Only time I've ever seen either band live, so far. It was awesome.

Uh, definetely one of the bands I am most in favour with. I discovered them nearly, eh, I guess four years ago through a good friend. He sent me Peacemaker and after some tries I fall in love with them. Nowadays I love their newer stuff a lot more than the older (even if their older stuff is awesome, too), since the musical and lyrical work was taken to another dimension with Unia and The Days of Grays. Even if Unia is a bit depressing it's my favourite album. I really have a strong connection to the lyrics and the music in general, and yes, I love songs such as The Worlds Forgotten, The Words Forbidden. Just can't wait for their new album which should be out by next summer.

It's one of my favorite bands. I just love Kakko's voice! He knows to scream!

If someone don't know SA yet, I suggest to try this songs: Fullmoon, Wolf and Raven, Don't Say a Word, Victoria's Secret.^^

I love the cover and the title.

And I like that they are continuing the story of Wildfire, can't wait to hear the sequels!

BTW, I just noticed that the lady's vagina is somewhere on the north of Canada.