AnssiR

Symphony X

44 posts in this topic

Any opinions of this US band?

I came across them recently and am very impressed.

Check out songs such as "Paradise Lost", or "When All Is Lost", "Communion and the Oracle"...,

They have also long epic tracks such as "Odyssey".

-Anssi

I got 3 albums, "Paradise Lost", "Twilight in Olympus" and "The Odyssey". Must say that "Twilight" is my favourite, the "we will play more riff-based heavy metal now" thing they got going since "The Odyssey" is something I don't really like. There are killer songs on Paradise Lost, most of all the title track and the opener and there are killer songs on "The Odyssey", but I miss the melodic sound of the keys in songs like "Church of the Machine".

EDIT: Forgot this: They are an incredible live band! Really amazing.

I've discovered them in 2007 thanks fantastic "Paradise Lost". Their new album "Iconoclast" is also awesome.

From their earlier stuff I like only "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" and "The Odyssey".

Symphony X is one of the best metal bands that I know. I like especially the melodic parts of the songs and the "Iconoclast"-album. Let me add some good songs here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkteYRJaU24&feature=related[/media]

[media]

[/media]

[media]

[/media]

I like also the song "Iconoclast" ( It's very progressive, like Dream Theater on some of their albums), and the song "The Odyssey" (and many others :) )

Hm I think it would be better to replace those links with some official videos of theirs. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against those links...but the mods might ;)

Sam: Don't worry. It's okay. No problem at all. Let him post the video. It's something released officialy by the band, ergo, no problems. We would have them if it were a bootleg or some leaked songs.

Oh, ok, my mistake then. I wasn't trying to play mod here, just didn't want him to get into trouble for posting the vids (in case someone took offense to the post).

Back to topic: I'm curious what people on here think about the stylistic change Symphony X went through over the years. From what I know of them from "The Odyssey" on they got heavier and more guitar-centered. Pinella is not as present as he used to be in the sound and Russel sings more aggressive with every album. On the one hand I dig aggressive Russel Allen very much, especially live, but on the other hand songs like "Church of the Machine" are amazing precisely because of the mix between guitar and keys. I think on "Paradise Lost" they kinda had an ok balance, but on the new one (which is the main reason I didn't get it yet) that balance seems to have vanished from what I heard. At the end of the day it's just different, I know, but the old stuff had a grander, more epic atmosphere than the new stuff. It's still good music, but just not as "out of this world" as songs like "Church of the Machine", or "A Fool's Paradise". I know that this is not a new discussion, but it's always interesting to hear oppinions on this.

In other news, Symphony X will tour in the US this fall: http://www.symphonyx.com/site/ Seems to be a small tour, but if anyone is in the area where they tour, go see them, they are an incredible live band. Really impressive.

I got to see them live during the Paradise Lost tour and man did they rocked! I really like this band. My favorite albums are probably The Divine Wings of Tragedy and Paradise Lost. However, shame on me for not having listened to their latest album yet.

I've got so much catching up to do. This is yet another band that I've heard of, and heard some songs by, but that I've never really had the time to properly digest. Will buy the special editions of their four first albums, and maybe the fifth one as well. Just listened to some of their stuff again on YouTube and wow. Why didn't they appeal to me 5-10 years ago?

Yeah, I know, I feel the same. I'm completely in love with Russel because of his Arjen projects and the little that I listened from Symphony X sounds soooo good, but they have a pretty big discography I never seem to get around to listen fully and with proper attention :(

And I also found out that Russell Allen has a band project with Jørn Lande and that they've released three albums and they all sound great. There's just too much good music out there. A big pet peeve of mine though is that I hate how most bonus tracks are either exclusive to Japanese releases or limited editions that are since long out of print. Symphony X only have two songs not featured on their main albums releases and both of them appear on Japanese release of The Odyssey (one of them being a re-recording of an early song that's also found on a compilation album but would rather just get it on this release instead). So now I have to track this one down and also make sure it's complete with OBI strip and all.

Just leaving this here. 

This man and his voice... No one sings like Russell Allen. No one. Pure emotion.

Whole band is incredible...

I love all their albums, but I find myself playing Iconoclast, The New Mythology Suite, Paradise Lost and Divine Wings of Tragedy the most.

One of the bands I've loved since the first time I heard them. Incredible musicians, incredible songwritting and incredible singer. 

I like all their albums but love the most - V: The New Mythology Suite, Paradise Lost  and The Odyssey

I've enjoyed Paradise Lost and V- The New Mythology Suite. The rest I haven't checked out, except Iconoclast.

I'm not into that kind of music always, bit I remember I didn't like Iconoclast when it came out...maybe I should check it out now...

Symphony X to me is that band that can crush your face with a guitar riff from hell and then immediately switch gears and have a piano/keyboard driven melody that is so awesome it finishes blowing your face off.

Paradise Lost, The Odyssey, Divine Wings, and V are in my opinion 5 star albums.

Russell Allen is a fantastic vocalist, Michael Romeo is one of if not THE most skilled guitarist in metal, and whomever the hell puts their songs together is a friggin genius.

Guitarist Michael Romeo reveals more details about the album, saying, “Musically,Underworld has things reminiscent of the bands previous albums but this one definitely has its own individuality. Every element added was in service of the song, so the album flows and becomes a total listening experience from start to finish. Every song is to-the-point and fine-tuned, with us paying a lot of attention to the hooks, voices, riffs, and keeping the interest and the energy high for the entire record.”

“It is heavy and aggressive as f–k when it needs to be, yet soaring and emotional at other times,” Romeo continues. “I think the balance is just right. It had to have all the elements of what we normally would do, just tweaked up a notch and really fine-tuned. You know, industry people have talked about how we’ll never see a complete album again, and that idea. I wanted to defend the reputation of the album, and really try to make Underworld worth listening to as a whole record.”

Romeo concludes, “It’s what I love about great individual songs, but still an album experience. I don’t want to sound like I’m preaching, but it was a point we wanted to make. It was about the progression of the whole record. It speeds up here and then it dips down here. It all makes sense together, it all works together and it all flows together.”

:dwarf: Looking forward so much! Symphony X is always a treat. There's not a single album by them that's disappointing.

I can't remember which song it was but I remember listening to Paradise Lost years ago and noticing that one of the songs had the same guitar solo as the intro to "Passion and the Opera."

I can't remember which song it was but I remember listening to Paradise Lost years ago and noticing that one of the songs had the same guitar solo as the intro to "Passion and the Opera."

Just remembered, it's Domination, and you can hear it around the 5 minute mark