AnssiR

Symphony X

41 posts in this topic

Another song from the upcoming album

I like this one better.

P.S. 2015 should be called The Year of Recycled Riffs! Min 3.20 = the ending of Revelation. The opening riff of Nevermore sounds like a mixture between Unleash the Fire and Set the World on Fire. 

Not even mentioning the recycled riffs feast in Nightwish's EFMB

Love the song. I think I hear some melodies from Divine Wings of Tragedy, right? Beautiful  :wub:

Love the song. I think I hear some melodies from Divine Wings of Tragedy, right? Beautiful  :wub:

Yep. And "The Accolade" too :D

Listening the album for 10th time and can't help but think: "Wait, is this Paradise Lost Pt. 2 with an ugly cover art?"

Compositionwise the songs of the Underworld have the same structure and again the album's intro is smashing and my favourite song has the word "Kiss" in its title. A paralle between the two albums can be made in lyrics also - just here they are focused on the rising Hell, instead of lost heaven. The whole album is a feast of smashing riffs and melting solos but that's not a surprise - it is Michael Romeo playing the guitar. Russell hadn't sounded so relaxed since V - The New Mythology Suite. Again you can hear rough singing from him but it is not in every song. 

Taking back my words about the recycled riffs - here they sound like used on purpose as it was in DT's Scenes from a Memory.

And on a side note - Symphony X are the kings of epic instrumentals. Overture could be used as soundtrack for the Downfall of Numenor.

By far this is the album of the year for me. Ofcourse there is still time for Amorphis, Riverside and Avatarium releases, so maybe it won't end being on this position. 

Just came across this gem. Just Allen from SX. I know I've said it to death, but his voice...

A funny thing perspective is. If you read reviews of Symphony X albums a lot of people are hard on New Mythology Suite, they'll say it tries to replay themes they were successful with in previous albums to a more lacklustre effect and gets somewhat low reviews. NMS was the first Symphony X album I heard and to me it is just an absolute monster of an album. The hard songs go pretty hard and it is so musically dense. The drums sound superb - clear and powerful but not overworked as tends to be the case in metal production. The reverb on the piano parts, of special note in 'Communion and the Oracle', is like a cool glass of water after too long in the sun (I was actually rescued from a bad fungal journey by those dulcet tones).

And then with that point of view I'd look back at the older ones they're referencing it to and finding they just aren't as well executed in comparison, by a great deal. New Mythology Suite. So good!

The first one I heard was "New Mythology Suite" because I kept hearing people say it was their best, so I kind of heard the opposite. :P Perhaps over time, people's perception of the album has changed and has gotten more positive.  I think it's a great album personally (I think we can all agree that "Evolution (The Grand Design)" rips at the very least!), though "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" is probably my favorite these days.

I pretty much love everything they've done.

Hope the hiatus won't be too long.

I prefer Russell with SX.

10 hours ago, Werewolf said:

The first one I heard was "New Mythology Suite" because I kept hearing people say it was their best, so I kind of heard the opposite. :P Perhaps over time, people's perception of the album has changed and has gotten more positive.  I think it's a great album personally (I think we can all agree that "Evolution (The Grand Design)" rips at the very least!), though "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" is probably my favorite these days.

Evolution SO rips. My buddy and I acapella the heck out of those riffs.

Beyond words. It's so nice to hear him sing again.

I hope I'll be able to hear him sing live at least once  :)

Hear what Maestro Michael Romeo has to offer as a glimpse of his solo album

And they are back! 

Symphony X 2019 tour dates:

07 May France Lyon Ninkasi Kao

08 May Switzerland Pratteln Z7

10 May Italy Treviso New Age

11 May Italy Bologna Estragon

12 May Italy Rome Orion

14 May Italy Milan Alcatraz

15 May Germany Munich Backstage Halle

16 May Germany Ludwigsburg Rockfabrik

17 May Germany Berlin Lido

18 May Germany Hannover Faust

19 May Denmark Copenhagen Amager Bio

21 May Norway Oslo Rockefeller

22 May Sweden Stockholm Klubben

24 May Finland Helsinki Nosturi

26 May Sweden Gothenburg Pustervik

28 May Germany Hamburg Knust

29 May Germany Dresden Beatpol

31 May Germany Aschaffenburg Colos-Saal

01 June Belgium Vosselaar Biebob

02 June Holland Nijmegen Fortarock Festival

04 June UK Coventry Empire

05 June UK Holmfirth Picturedrome

06 June UK London Electric Ballroom

07 June France Paris La Machine du Moulin Rouge

08 June Germany Gelsenkirchen Rock Hard Festival

After years of waiting, I'll see Symphony X in live, finally. Last time when they played in Finland, Nightwish played at the same time in Tavastia.