AngelWingsToDust

Within Temptation

1,726 posts in this topic

The latest WT album, The Unforgiving, was released in March of this year and quickly topped charts across the world, most notably earning the #1 Rock Album spot in the United States.

What do you guys think about Within Temptation? Do you like the way their sound has changed? Do you find it more aggressive? Personally I like the newer ways Sharon Den Adel is using her voice. I always suspected as she got older that she'd have to use the lower parts of her voice, but I never expected her to be so inventive with it. Especially since she has no formal training whatsoever.

I was never a big fan of Enter, even though I really liked the music on that album, so the change in their music hasn't bothered me too much. Mother Earth was WT's best for me, but I still appreciate TSF and THoE. (THoE is probably my second-favorite.)

The Unforgiving brought a lot of needed 'energetic live tracks' but at the same time it seemed pretty weak and repetitive. The songs are also much better live, though.

I like her using the lower parts of her voice, but I do miss some of her high notes. It did grate on my ears a bit when she constantly sang like that, but I liked how tracks like Ice Queen and The Promise sounded.

The new songs sound SO much better live, I agree. Was very undecided about the new album until I saw them live, but their show really impressed me. The visuals were awesome too (lights, LED screen etc...)

Have to say though, Mother Earth is just wonderful.

Also, Sharon has been SUCH an inspiration to me as I'm a singer and have never had any formal training either ^^ .

I loved the new album the second I got it :) and I'm so glad I got to see them live - it was epic! Well worth that faff with the train back from London (grr trains)

As a soprano the older song's frustrate me ... I picked up bad habits singing along and still need to get out of them before I'll be able to sing any of the older song's properly :D

Love everything Mother Earth onwards.... kinda want Mother Earth played at my funeral when I die...seems fitting

I didn't like The Unforgiving at first but after seeing them live in London, I completely changed my mind. It was one of the best concerts I've ever gone to. Seeing them again in Amsterdam on 14th April as part of their theater tour. :D

Favourite albums: The Silent Force and Enter.

I found I liked The Unforgiving right from the very first listen. It's harder and more aggressive than some of WT's previous albums, but I think given the subject of this particular album, it fit perfectly. They do seem to be good at capturing a particular feel for each of their more recent albums, I find; Mother Earth feels more, well, earthy and organic, The Silent Force (which is my favorite album, with Unforgiving right behind it at #2) has a quiet yet powerful feel to it, and The Heart of Everything seems to encompass everything that makes them so popular and unique.

Enter and The Dance, while I do own them, have never done a whole lot for me. I've just never been a huge fan of the "beauty and the beast" vocals so common in a lot of female-fronted metal, and I'm rather glad that WT eventually moved away from that.

I envy those of you who've gotten to see them live. Like with Nightwish, they're a band I really want to see live one of these days if they come to a city close enough to me.

I love the album and watching them last month in Manchester was the second best concert I have been to and I met the band :D . I'm curious to hear more about their plans to make a film tie-in with Unforgiving and their next album.

I've been a fan of the band for a long time but wasn't too sure about the new album when i first heard it. After a few listens it really grew on me though and their live show last month was great!

WT is one of my favorite bands. I instantly fell in love with Sharon's voice when I first heard Ice queen many years ago. Since then, I follow them and I saw them live when they were in Zagreb in 2008, it was absolutely amazing!

My favorite album is Mother Earth, it is so magical and filled with mystic atmosphere, later albums are also great, and I really like The Unforgiving, I was listening to it on repeat when it came out. I would love to see them once more during the unforgiving tour.

Also gotta add that Sharon is my big inspiration in singing.

Love them.

I started listening to them when TSF was released, but I've heard Ice Queen before, just didn't know it was them. Mother Earth is my absolute favorite <3

I saw them live in Zagreb, and I'm still hoping that they will come here again, 'cause that was an awesome show. Sharon and the guys are so nice, I missed my last train home while I was talking to them, and I had to wait for 7 hours on the train station for next, but I regret nothing :)

The only thing I'm really sad about is that Robert hurt his finger on tour, and didn't come to Croatia, and now he's not playing live anymore, and I'll never be able to see him :(

I saw them live in Oslo about a month ago. They were great! I even touched Sharon's hand :D Been a fan of them since back in 2005, when I was searching for Nightwish songs on good old Limewire, and I found a song called "Nightwish - Haven't You See". :P It was of course not Nightwish, but WT with Ice Queen ("Whenever she is raging she takes all life away. Haven't you seen? Haven't you seen? The ruins of our world").

Love them! Been a fan since around the time Stand My Ground was released. Their acoustic live album is out of this world. I never thought that they could top The Silent Force, but The Unforgiving has gone on to become my favourite album by them. It's just incredible. I also love the fact that they're so diverse. Of course, just like with Nightwish there will always be those who dislike them because they're not "tr00 metal" (which is funny since WT refer to themselves as rock with roots in metal and not the other way around).

I still have trouble getting into The Unforgiving, to me it still seems that the songs lack some meat compared to for example their classic albums. On the other hand, I do think it is better than The Heart of Everything.

I'm not a fan of the new album, which is a shame because Within Temptation led to me many other bands and they'll always be special to me because of that. However I do respect that they tried something different, I just happened to not enjoy it so much. I do quite like Sinead and Shot in the Dark but otherwise, lots of the songs on the album do sound too similar for my taste. Enough of the negativity though because I do love all of the other albums, especially Mother Earth.

But let's just talk about Black Symphony for a second. Hands down the greatest live DVD any band has released (in my opinion of course). I can watch that over and over, the orchestra & the choir just make the songs even better. Glad there was a CD release of it too, because I actually prefer listening to the songs from Black Symphony rather than the original album versions. Which is rare for me because I'm usually too attached to the original versions.

@Kristian - The Heart of Everything is good, but you need to be in a certain mood to appreciate it, I think. It does have one of my absolute favourite WT songs on it; Forgiven! Oh, how I love that song!

@MarionetteLikeMe - I get what you're saying. You can't please everyone. Enter is one of those albums I just can't seem to get into. On the other hand, albums that are different sometimes appeal to people who normally don't like the band in question. This happened to me with the latest albums by Opeth and In Flames. Not a big fan of growling, so I was pleasantly surprised by these releases!

Black Symphony is awesome! I believe Tuomas said he had watched it and felt inspired by it. That's a good sign! It is indeed the best release of a live recording ever! Apart from the main show, you get a full bonus concert, random TV performances, interviews, backstage footage, rehearsal footage, a tour diary and a documentary... honestly, other bands really should take note! And if you were interested in getting more from this tour, they released yet another show as a bonus DVD on a special edition of the album, followed by an audio recording of an acoustic gig. Being a WT fan is rewarding!

I'm not even a Within Temptation fan, but I saw some clips from Black Symphony and was pretty impressed. They have a really tight live sound that I appreciate, and Sharon sounds a little stronger than she does on record.

Their regular, studio albums don't really do much for me though.

I think they are one of those rare bands that actually sounds better live. I can't get over how amazing Sharon sounds live (on 99.9% of the occasions, when she's not really sick or exhausted :P. But to be fair, even when she is sick she sounds incredible). And the rest of the band just has a certain energy. Most of all, I love how Sharon interacts with the rest of the band. A very real friendship between them all.

And I've stated in the other forum how much I love "The Unforgiving." I think it was very risky, but I'm impressed. It took a little time to really hit me as an excellent record, but then one day it did. And I love all of their albums. Enter, The Dance EP, Mother Earth, The Silent Force, and The Heart of Everything. Granted, there are songs here and there I'm not a fan of, but I know I love all evolutions of their sound :D.

I find Sharon's voice simply captivating. She is probably my Achilles heel - if you need something off of me, play a song from THOE first then you'll have me in your complete control :P

Sharon's strength is that, for me, she can turn a weakness into something I love. Some of the vocals on Black Symphony aren't technically perfect, but they're damn emotional - and that's why I adore *****. Her mannerisms are just wonderful... WT can do no wrong in my mind nowadays, they just have to continue being themselves and they'll have me as a lifelong fan.

I really disliked all of their previous albums, save for couple of tracks from Silent Force (Cross, What Have you Done, All I need), and found Solemn Hour to be one of the most atrocious songs of all times.

However, The Unforgiving is so freaking awesome! Def. the best album of this year! And finally Sharon sings, not screams/whistles!

Love Within Temptation, have been a fan of theirs almost as long as I've been a fan of Nightwish. The new album is fantastic, and it's interesting that they did something similar to what Nightwish is doing, except WT centered their album around a comic book instead of a movie. Great artists think alike I suppose. Sharon has one of the most beautiful voices ever.

There will be a fourth single released from the album, with a brand new music video being released on YouTube this month. Here's hoping it's a good one and not just a live montage. What song do you think it'll be? Something tells me it's gonna be either Stairway to the Skies or Fire and Ice.

I hope "Stairway to the Skies" or "Lost" if it's a ballad. I think "Iron" "In the Middle of the Night" or "Murder" would also be good choices for singles. Guess we'll find-out!! :D They made awesome videos in the past, hopefully they can do some good ones again. I think the last 3, although not awful, were not up to their standards, because they shoot them so fast.

Honestly, no matter which track they choose as their next single, I think it will be a good choice. Pretty much everything on the album (aside from the intro track, of course :P) feels like it has (or has had) single potential to me.

I'd love for Fire and Ice to get some attention, it's such a damn underrated song in my opinion and my favourite from The Unforgiving. I do adore Murder too though and it would make an excellent single.