AngelWingsToDust

Within Temptation

1,726 posts in this topic

Although they are far more adventurous and innovative than Nightwish in their career, I personally think Within Temptation suffers a bit from the same problem: both NW with Emppu, as WT with Ruud & Stefan, don't get enough space to shine as guitarists to add that special layer of sound and creativeness to a song.

Not that it's 100% absolutely necessary, but it can add so much more to already fantastic music.

Remember how David Gilmour totally lightens up Pink Floyd-songs with his solo's and there are many more examples.To be honest, I can't remember any long solo's from WT at all on their studio albums. Maybe there are a few live, but I can't recall any. Maybe that someone can post some video's that I've never seen before of long WT-guitar solo's.   :dunno:

Saying that, I must confess that I think that Sharon simply sings too much on songs. Sometimes so much, especially live, that her effort and pronounciation gets a bit drowned. They have so many fantastic songs that are suitable for a guitar solo treatment and where a bit less of Sharon's singing would improve the quality of the songs. But my guess is that Sharon, as founder/composer/writer, has quite a big say in how it all turns out.  

Can you imagine how exciting a guitar duel between Ruud and Stefan on a song like 'The heart of everything' or 'Stairway to the skies' would be? Not to mention how epic that could be live? For me this is the thing I miss most, while listening to both WT and NW.

Just listen to some Maiden United-songs if you want to hear Ruud get his fix of solo's, because the man can play!

And it doesn't have to be screaming metal guitars either!

I agree Ruud and Stefan/ Robert should be be able to show off there skills more. There is a bit of a duel on the song "Hand of Sorrow" which i like but am always a bit dissapointed that it didn't lead to anything more. The song itself is one of my favorites of theirs though. Does Robert play on the albums or is it Stefan? I wonder how much input Stefan has on t he songs. I presume its mostly Sharon and Robert writing though.

Fixed the quote. - Dandelion

There's absolutely nothing going on at WT's fansite (their latest contribution is from the 14th of November last year and that's a 'fan of the week'-thing :woot:) and apart from some Black X-mas promotion, the same goes for their Facebook. No appearances on tv, radio or 'dancing with the stars' either. 

Have they gone on a prolonged ski holiday, are they in hibernation or are they working 24/7 on their new album? Can't remember such a long period of inactivity in the media, so it must mean something good!

For all of their hibernation victims, a collection of their live performances. The poster says they are the best, but that's for everyone him/herself to decide. It will keep you off the streets for a prolific 7000 and 47 seconds!! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYPLAh56z6g

Yesterday Sharon posted a picture from the atudio on her Facebook and asked people to be patient for what's coming!

Got nothing better to do at this moment, so I'll just write a few predictions how I think WT's next album is going to turn out.

A) It's going to be a thematic album.

B) Probably based on a big historical event.

C) It could be a double album if A &B were to be true. 

D) There will be ONE duet with a very big name on this release; it might be a very unusual name again.

E) It will be one of their best ever albums.

F) They will score a Top-10 hit again in the NL and other European countries, possibly the UK.

G) The release date will  be short before Christmas (I'm afraid to say which year).

H) There will be at least 5 different editions of this new album released, the most expensive will be one in a glittering dark box, costing 59,95 euro excluding postal costs.

:)  :music:  :P

Has anyone heard this? It's the demo version of Candles I was talking about last year after watching Elements. The demo is my favourite version of Candles and I strongly prefer it to the album version. I love the use of electric guitars instead of acoustic guitars. In that way, it's similar to the live performances. The sound quality isn't that good since it's just a demo but it adds a haunting atmosphere to the song. Plus, Sharon sings in this strange tone which she didn't on the album and I love it <3 The other songs of the Enter demo (Enter, Gatekeeper, Pearls) are on youtube as well if somebody wants to give them a listen. They're great as well but they're more similar to the album version than Candles.

Yes, I love it!! I also prefer it to the album version!

When I inserted the bonus CD-Rom of the original Mother Earth release, I found these old pictures. Some of them have been used on the CD for The Dance as well but the resolution there is really low since it dates to 1998. The resolution is suprisingly good for 2000 though, so I thought I'd post them.

band_promo_1280x1024_zpsospgvr3w.png

band_thedance_1280x1024_zps2ujensiz.png

band_thedance_2_1280x1024_zps6r4osknw.pn

sharon_the_dance_1280x1024_zpscuwe1w58.p

sharon_1280x1024_zpszyqdnmdx.png

enter_book_1280x1024_zpsn90kp67l.png

enter_cover_1280x1024_zpssykftwf4.png

The last two (from Enter) have a beautiful aesthetic!! I love the old photos. Sharon looks so young and cute!

@The Name Of The Wind

I like the first and the third one most!

Having looked at their website, the only live upcoming performances do involve only Sharon at big gigs from Armin van Buuren at the Amsterdam Arena (50.000 and more people) on the 12th and 13th of May. And with Tarja at Metalfest Open Air in the Czech Republic on the 3rd of June. They sure must be busy!

On 1/3/2017 at 7:59 PM, WhiteLagoon said:

The last two (from Enter) have a beautiful aesthetic!! I love the old photos. Sharon looks so young and cute!

I realised just now that I completely forgot to reply. Silly me!

I also really like the photos from Enter. They really suit the mood of the album and the same goes for the photos for The Dance. I'm glad I found the photos. I also think it's sad that the music from The Dance and Enter (including the demos) is so overlooked. The music is very different from WT's newer music but it's still worth listening. I like it. A few years ago, there would have been the excuse that both Enter and The Dance had been out of print but they've been re-released since. I was lucky enough to score to a new copy of Enter and a used copy in good condition.

Enter and The Dance songs are pretty good live! :)

One month ago, Sharon had a really long chat and Q& A with fans on the internet & skype. 

Not sure how to place this.....mostly live, but with some playbacking?

At some very little part maybe yes, but anyway it's still beautiful <3 I see Sharon still loves to move her arms all the time XD

In 2004/2005 Helena Iren Michaelsen (Imperia, Angel, ex Epica, ex Trail of Tears) blamed them of doing playback (I didn't believe her anyway :P) ... But the interview was in Spanish so maybe it was a translation mistake:

(...)

Mira a WITHIN TEMPTATION por ejemplo, ellos actualmente
ya no son una banda. Por un lado tienes a Sharon y su novio, que es el guitarrista
de WITHIN TEMPTARION. ¿Conoces al grupo AUTUMN?

T.M.C.: Si te refieres a los holandeses góticos sí,
juraría que tengo el primero que sacaron.

H.I.M.: Sí, también son holandeses, pues AUTUMN hicieron
2 giras con WITHIN TEMPTATION y digamos que no se portaron muy bien con ellos.
De hecho me llegaron a comentar que el 80 % de sus actuaciones en platós de
televisión o grandes festivales eran Playback, ¿Cómo puede ser eso? Yo me negaría
a hacerlo porque creo que el estilo del Metal / Rock Gótico pierde credibilidad
con eso. Si eres buen músico y amas tu música has de negarte a hacer Playback.

(...)

@hunebedbouwer That's from the set of videos the band recorded for the app they released along with the "And We Run" video/single, so yes, it's just playback.

@WhiteLagoonI loved Sharon's reply to that statement.

Mmmm... I'll have to search among the interviews around 2011-2012, I guess. But she said something like "Why would she say that? I mess up the lyrics all the time." :)

6 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Not sure how to place this.....mostly live, but with some playbacking?

Verses are most definitely live (those gasps of air and so on), but that choir part seems to be backing tapes, with Sharon moving her mouth to it. There's also lots of echo in her vocals as well. 

Generally speaking, blaming Sharon for using backing tapes is kind of pointless. Sure, WT uses lots of them in the mix, but this is symphonic metal after all. They all do. But, there's everything from those lyrical mistakes to shortness of breath to actual "bad vocal days" when you listen to WT's live performances.  You can actually hear the difference between Sharon being on top notch on stage and having a bad day. 

@Damian

Thanks for the info.

If it were to be true what Helena Michelsen said, she surely never heard WT performing (and in particular Sharon) live! It would be such a pointless and stupid remark, because Sharon had proved already for a long time otherwise at concerts, studio's  and acoustic gigs. Maybe she was under influence.....:popcorn:  

It also depends what kind of media she was talking to and if she was quoted right. I wouldn't give a dime for most media nowadays to do a good OR sincere job!

For the rest, I agree with Harvest. And I also don't think that Sharon has the personality to fool around. She's far too much a perfectionist for that!

Anyway, it was nice to have a few comments on this thread again for we are all waiting......waiting.....therefore a video of the Stones with 'I am waiting'......:D

Sharon in Armin van Buuren's 20 anniversary concert!

Love the song and performance!

I have literally (well, yesterday) just started listening to WT!  Went YouTubing, on recommendation, and loved what I found.  So, the Unforgiven and Mother Earth (currently 2 for £10 at HMV in UK), here we come...

This is similar to how I got started with NW a couple of years ago... :)