AngelWingsToDust

Within Temptation

1,857 posts in this topic

One month ago, Sharon had a really long chat and Q& A with fans on the internet & skype. 

Not sure how to place this.....mostly live, but with some playbacking?

At some very little part maybe yes, but anyway it's still beautiful <3 I see Sharon still loves to move her arms all the time XD

In 2004/2005 Helena Iren Michaelsen (Imperia, Angel, ex Epica, ex Trail of Tears) blamed them of doing playback (I didn't believe her anyway :P) ... But the interview was in Spanish so maybe it was a translation mistake:

(...)

Mira a WITHIN TEMPTATION por ejemplo, ellos actualmente
ya no son una banda. Por un lado tienes a Sharon y su novio, que es el guitarrista
de WITHIN TEMPTARION. ¿Conoces al grupo AUTUMN?

T.M.C.: Si te refieres a los holandeses góticos sí,
juraría que tengo el primero que sacaron.

H.I.M.: Sí, también son holandeses, pues AUTUMN hicieron
2 giras con WITHIN TEMPTATION y digamos que no se portaron muy bien con ellos.
De hecho me llegaron a comentar que el 80 % de sus actuaciones en platós de
televisión o grandes festivales eran Playback, ¿Cómo puede ser eso? Yo me negaría
a hacerlo porque creo que el estilo del Metal / Rock Gótico pierde credibilidad
con eso. Si eres buen músico y amas tu música has de negarte a hacer Playback.

(...)

@hunebedbouwer That's from the set of videos the band recorded for the app they released along with the "And We Run" video/single, so yes, it's just playback.

@WhiteLagoonI loved Sharon's reply to that statement.

Mmmm... I'll have to search among the interviews around 2011-2012, I guess. But she said something like "Why would she say that? I mess up the lyrics all the time." :)

6 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Not sure how to place this.....mostly live, but with some playbacking?

Verses are most definitely live (those gasps of air and so on), but that choir part seems to be backing tapes, with Sharon moving her mouth to it. There's also lots of echo in her vocals as well. 

Generally speaking, blaming Sharon for using backing tapes is kind of pointless. Sure, WT uses lots of them in the mix, but this is symphonic metal after all. They all do. But, there's everything from those lyrical mistakes to shortness of breath to actual "bad vocal days" when you listen to WT's live performances.  You can actually hear the difference between Sharon being on top notch on stage and having a bad day. 

@Damian

Thanks for the info.

If it were to be true what Helena Michelsen said, she surely never heard WT performing (and in particular Sharon) live! It would be such a pointless and stupid remark, because Sharon had proved already for a long time otherwise at concerts, studio's  and acoustic gigs. Maybe she was under influence.....:popcorn:  

It also depends what kind of media she was talking to and if she was quoted right. I wouldn't give a dime for most media nowadays to do a good OR sincere job!

For the rest, I agree with Harvest. And I also don't think that Sharon has the personality to fool around. She's far too much a perfectionist for that!

Anyway, it was nice to have a few comments on this thread again for we are all waiting......waiting.....therefore a video of the Stones with 'I am waiting'......:D

Sharon in Armin van Buuren's 20 anniversary concert!

Love the song and performance!

I have literally (well, yesterday) just started listening to WT!  Went YouTubing, on recommendation, and loved what I found.  So, the Unforgiven and Mother Earth (currently 2 for £10 at HMV in UK), here we come...

This is similar to how I got started with NW a couple of years ago... :)

23 minutes ago, Essexboyinwales said:

I have literally (well, yesterday) just started listening to WT!  Went YouTubing, on recommendation, and loved what I found.  So, the Unforgiven and Mother Earth (currently 2 for £10 at HMV in UK), here we come...

This is similar to how I got started with NW a couple of years ago... :)

Try "The Silent Force" and then "The Heart of Everything". You won't regret, I promise.

And don't forget to buy 'The Black Symphony' for the ultimate LIVE experience!

3 hours ago, Damian said:

Try "The Silent Force" and then "The Heart of Everything". You won't regret, I promise.

3 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

And don't forget to buy 'The Black Symphony' for the ultimate LIVE experience!

Sooooo much this!!! :D Two of the best Symphonic Metal albums ever and possibly the best live DVD in the genre too :) I recommend you the DVD The Silent Force Tour too :yes: Sharon sounds great there.

I know many people are not hot on the album, but I love The Unforgiven. Here is my favorite from the album:

Ooooohoho Sinead O'Connor where you at dog? :P 

1 hour ago, Serious Sam said:

I know many people are not hot on the album, but I love The Unforgiven. Here is my favorite from the album:

Ooooohoho Sinead O'Connor where you at dog? :P 

I love the song and I love Sinéad O'Connor :D

The Unforgiving is a great album, but comparing it to TSF, THoE, Enter and Mother Earth I like it a bit less. Still I think it's better than Hydra (which I really like too). My favorite song there is A Demon's Fate :music:

I don't rate 'Sinead' at all, but I really love Sinead too. Also, I think 'The Unforgiven' is the second 'least best' (after The Dance) album of WT, but it has one good song on it for me in 'Where is the edge' and a great song in 'Stairway to the skies'. If only they had added a long guitar solo to the last one, it would have been a brilliant song!

Also, this whole film connection (no matter how well it was meant) and these comics were not adding anything (quite honestly the opposite) to the whole enjoyment for me. I don't think it was a big succes either, but that I don't know. No doubt, they would have mentioned that if it was. Musically speaking, I found it the most generic album with a lot of similar songs. Not even close to the 3 albums made in the 2000's decade. 

I quite like 'Hydra', because it was a much more inventive and creative album with some rare and unexpected duets. And I think their new album (this year? next year?) will something very unique too. Really got a good feeling about that. But WT does not really have bad albums in my opinion, which is quite an achievement in its own!!!

What I really liked was this video of the TT of the Isle of Man in which 'Faster' plays a main role, just frightning astonishing:

@WhiteLagoonI was referring more to what I've seen on YouTube from WT fans: Oh man, they sold out man, this Commercial crap man blablabla you know what I mean. Sinead O'Connor is just amazing.

@hunebedbouwerI mean Mother Earth to me is their most beautiful Album by far. "In Perfect Harmony" is the most beautiful song they ever recorded to me. The Silent Force is a bit meh, though it has a lot of their classics, but it is pretty simple compared to later Albums.

I love The Unforgiven most because I like my powermetal most! Because I can't live without the fire, it's the heat that makes me strong! Cause I'm Born to live and fight it all the waaaayyyyyyy! :P 

I think Dog Days on Hydra was a perfect blend of new and old style. Just as Paradise. Those two Songs are the direction I'd love them to go into. Whole World is Watching is the opposite.

I feel like the Album where The Howling was on flies under the Radar. The Howling was literally my first WT song and I loved them ever since. I saw them back in 06 when they played with Delain in Stuttgart (and god damn 69 Eyes who played like over an hour or something despite WT being the main act). That was my first metal concert. Haven't seen them since then. For some reason I've seen Delain mutliple times since them, but WT only that one time. Jumped so much around and drank so Little water that I had the most terrible leg cramp of my life the next morning. Never drank so Little and moved so much again in my life.

Not sure if this has been posted before (might have been by myself:giggle:), but certainly don't hope and think any of the new stuff will be anything close to this:

Sharon as the 'beauty' in this 'beasty' song:

Even though I don't care for Oomph that is really good. Sharon as beauty always works. I think Sharon has the same thing Tommy Karevik: Nice-person syndrome. Even though they are both amazing at acting their parts they can't act evil for saving their lifes. When you see Tommy doing the evil characters in Kamelot songs and compare it to Roy - not the same. Roy could get into a Mephisto part or the Elizabeth parts with terrifying intensity. Sharon and Tommy don't have that. They are more energetic than dark intense. That's why I think Sharon always needs people like Howard Jones or XZbit to do the darker parts on those epic songs. She's just not wired like that.

And my early impressions of WT are:

The Unforgiven is just fantastic!  A great rock/metal album, and SVA's voice is great!

But, I then tried Mother Earth and it was...very different...much more folkyish, which I usually like, but what I didn't like (on first listen) was Sharon's voice, it was much higher and nothing like what I'd heard (and loved) on TU!  So, I quickly went back to TU...

I will try ME again, but not yet!

32 minutes ago, Essexboyinwales said:

And my early impressions of WT are:

The Unforgiven is just fantastic!  A great rock/metal album, and SVA's voice is great!

But, I then tried Mother Earth and it was...very different...much more folkyish, which I usually like, but what I didn't like (on first listen) was Sharon's voice, it was much higher and nothing like what I'd heard (and loved) on TU!  So, I quickly went back to TU...

I will try ME again, but not yet!

You should try The Heart of Everything before Mother Earth.

The Heart of Everything is more similar to The Unforgiving than Mother Earth. At the same time, the album is darker and heavier than both TU and ME. Also, it marks the time when Sharon started to sing lower than in the early days. There are callbacks to Sharon's previous vocal style, like Hand of Sorrow or The Truth Beneath the Rose but overall, she sings lower than on ME. 

After THoF I would go back to The Silent Force. It fixes Sharon's weird sounding vocals from ME and brings in the bombast WT are known for. Sharon still sings high here but she sounds better. 

Only after TSF I would suggest you to listen to ME. ME shifted genre from the pure gothic metal of Enter and The Dance towards the symphonic rock/metal WT are known for. It was their first attempt of creating a symphonic metal album and it shows. The band doesn't have the same experience as later and it shows. 

You could also try Hydra before going back to the previous albums. It's very similar to TU; except that TU is a concept album while Hydra is not. 

I also think you should continue with THoE and Hydra, for the same reasons @The Name Of The Wind has mentioned. Although my favorite one is The Silent Force, and The Heart is very close.

The last one you have to listen, for me, is Enter (yes, after Mother Earth). I love it, but it feels... out of place? compared with the later albums. It's so different, the only one a biiiiit similar is Mother Earth (because of Sharon's high pitched voice). Still is one of my favorite albums and I recommend you the songs Candles, Restless and Pearls of Light (they're beautiful).