Aurënfaie

Kamelot

913 posts in this topic

Kamelot is a symphonic power metal band formed in the USA.

Official Site

Wikipedia Page

What do you all think? Personally, they're one of my favorite bands--Roy Khan was really something special, so it's sad he's gone. I'm not too fond of their older works, but The Fourth Legacy and onward aren't bad. Epica and The Black Halo are their best, I think.

Did anyone here see them on tour with Fabio? I don't like his voice, but I heard he did a good job filling in Roy's spot. It's a little odd they played so few songs off their latest, seeing as it was the Poetry for the Poisoned tour.

I'm a HUGE Kamelot fan- in my book, they come second only to Nightwish. They're hyper-inventive and their musicianship is the tightest I've ever heard live. Youngblood is a phenomenal guitarist who deserves waaaaay more popularity than he currently has. =P And yes, Roy was my favorite male vocalist of all time. Hearing him duet with Simone Simons (My favorite female vocalist of all time) was a dream come true.

Same, Kamelot is my second-favorite next to Nightwish as well. Thomas seems like a good guy, he responds to the fans on the official forum a lot.

Roy and Simone do sound great together, I think my favorite with them is either Part II of Poetry for the Poisoned or House On A Hill.

I saw them in NYC with Fabio and, while I couldn't hear much as everyone (including myself) was singing at the top of their voices, I thought Fabio sounded great, which I did not expect. I am very picky about male vocalists and Roy is my favorite. And Kamelot is my favorite band, even Nightwish can only seem to tie them at best. But that may depend on who their new vocalist is, Their music will always be great, but a bad voice can make even the best music unlistenable to me. <_< For the first time even Nightwish might manage to dethrone Kamelot as my favorite, and it pizzes (censorship :P ) me off. Not because Nightwish don't deserve the spot of anything, but because it would be like the death of a friend to lose Kamelot, they've been with me so long and I love them so much it would be painful to lose them to something like this. However, I strongly doubt that they'll choose someone that I won't like, they picked a gem last time after all. B) I think they'll be just fine, they are working on a new album already according to their website and say they are close to making a decision on a vocalist. So we'll see soon I guess.

I'm jealous! :P I was supposed to go to the Chicago show, but then all that drama happened and Roy left, and then Within Temptation came to the US and it was on a weekend, so it was either miss several classes or get to see a band that rarely tours the US, so unfortunately I had to miss Kamelot. I would have been more than happy to see them with Fabio after all the good things I heard about the tour.

Crossing my fingers that they'll do another US tour soon -- Thomas said they would. I'm guessing it will be another tour with the new singer. I'm pretty sure they have already started working on the new album.

Kamelot was my first real introduction to the metal scene and along with Nightwish and Within Temptation, they remain my favourite bands. I remember I used to listen to Rhapsody and then stumbled upon a song called 'King's Eyes' from the Siege Perilous album. At first I couldn't understand that this was Fabio Lione as Roy Khan sounded simply amazing. Really different from the screamy and growly vocals I used to associate with metal.

I quickly found other songs and learned that the band that had made 'King's Eyes' were in fact called Kamelot. Karma was an instant fave, while some other songs needed to grow on me. Khan's vocals blew me away everytime.

Epica is my favourite album of the bunch. Poetry for the Poisoned was a bit of a letdown, but I think it stands well on its own if I don't compare it to the previous albums. It was also a bit too negative for me, though I believe it was a necessary release for the band. It's wonderful how therapeutic music can be.

I was really saddened when I heard that Roy had left the band, but people change. I have faith that Thomas and Co will find a good vocalist. One of the reasons I like Kamelot so much is that they really seem to care about their fanbase. They don't seem as 'distant' as some other bands I've come across. It's of course very hard to be 'personal' with thousands of people, but I think Kamelot manages that well.

It's been a while since Roy left, yet they don't seem to be in any hurry to choose a new singer. i hope that means they're being thorough in their search and not that they're giving up....

They are searching--Thomas occasionally posts on the forum, and he talked about it in the singer/speculation topic. Kamelot is already working on content for a new album, which they plan to release sometime in 2012 (I can't remember which interview I read that in). Apparently they plan to do another tour in 2012, so my guess is they will announce the new singer sometime next year. :)

Oh how I wish it would be possible for Tommy Karevik from "Seventh Wonder" to be the new vocalist, but since he's in Seventh Wonder I don't think it will happen. No disrespect to Fabio, but Tommy sounded way better (he sang "Center of the Universe" when Kamelot was over here with Fabio), really fitting. To me the show with Fabio was a disappointment, even though he did a good job. It wasn't really just about him, it was also the setlist. Everytime something from the last album or Ghost Opera came on I got bored. Without Roy it really becomes apparent just how mediocre those songs are compared with just about everything from Karma/Epica/Black Halo.

I really hope they find a new singer who can do a great job, Kamelot was my first powermetal band and for a long time my favourite band. But this new direction they're going in...I don't know. It doesn't feel the same. Maybe the magic will come back with the new singer.

Tommy Karevik would have been a perfect choice for Kamelot, I agree. Epica / Black Halo really was the height of their career so far, but I don't think Ghost Opera and PftP are as bad as people make them out to be. My main issue is that in-between a few decent tracks there were several uninteresting or just 'okay' ones, whereas pretty much every track on Epica/TBH was excellent.

Last I heard, Thomas said the stuff he had written felt more like TBH, so I have a feeling they're moving away from the sound in PftP (I hope so, anyway, no matter how much I think it was alright).

I am so excited for the new album! I loved Roy to death, he was one of the most talented singers in metal if you ask me, but I have confidence in Thomas to choose someone who can adequately fill those massive shoes. His songwriting never ceases to amaze me, he makes catchier choruses than most pop artists could dream of. (Forever and Soul Society have taken up more time in my brain than perhaps any other song. Except maybe Nemo.) I also like their new material a lot. I think the electronic effects don't detriment the power metal, like on If Tomorrow Came. Personally, that track and Once Upon a Time from Poetry are some of my favorites by them.

I checked out some shows on YouTube with Fabio and he seemed to fit their sound wonderfully. But I'm not sure if they're considering him for full time or not, is he still active with RoF?

Absolutely love everything from The Fourth Legacy up to Poetry for the Poisoned.

I can't for the life of me get into the first 3 albums though, especially the first 2 (which are unintentionally hilarious at times).

I love Epica and The Black Halo, their best albums IMO. Ghost Opera is quite good also but Poetry for the Poisoned was one of the biggest disappointment in 2010. Haven't listened how Fabio fits to the band, I should but I've been too lazy.

Spare yourself the time. He doesn't fit the band. At all. He did a good job on the tour and he is a fantastic singer, but he doesn't fit Kamelot. He will most likely not be their new permanent singer anyway.

Kamelot is surely an amazin' band.

At first I was mistaken that they probably came from an European country because I've know many other bands with that kind of sounds and they're almost all European, but then I was proven wrong.

It's a lost that Roy Khan left the band. Even though I heard that they were hunting a new singer and the pick would be adequate, but their future is IMO still in doubt. No one can possibly sing as good as he does, and their songs shouldn't be dethroned.

I'm for the minority who likes Ghost Opera, but Epica is also a good one ;)

Mate of mine is in the shortlist for new singer so fingers crossed

That would be amazing!

I love Kamelot. Their music is so reaching (as in within) and soothing.

Interesting, Carol - thumbs crossed (or something) for your friend. We'll see....

I just listened to some Black Halo and Ghost Opera stuff today - man, I am still bummed about Roy Khan. The primary reason is that he waspart of the songwriting together with Youngblood, and I really, really think Roy made some of the best lyrics around on many songs. But yeah, we'll se, could be the new one will be just as good or even better, and I hope he also will have something to add to the songwriting. Even if I did like Poetry..., I think it shined somewhat through that Roy was a little burnt out already, perhaps. Will be interesting to see if they will maybe incorporate Oliver Palotai in the creative process more - he might have something to add.

I remember when hearing him for the first time I already thought about him being a wonderful frontman for Kamelot! So yup, good luck.

Oliver is an amazing artist, :) I'm sure he'll be a big help. I'm excited about seeing whom they choose.

In other news... I WON! :dwarf: Finally! A copy of Myths and Legends! :dwarf: Got it for $12.99 on ebay, like new, or so the guy claims. :giggle: Priority mail, so it should be here in a few days, then I'll know for sure and can finally have Snow and Like the Shadows on my ipod again. :yahoo: Woo! :music: Sorry about dropping a smiley bomb. :blush: I'm a little excited. :yahoo: ... Okay, a lot.

i have been a fan since the black halo, theyre one of my favorite bands! Fabio is a wonderful singer and did the songs very well. but i heard it was due to Khans illness. but I saw them live and it was great, every album from black halo to great pandemonium has been great, theyve definatly evolved! cannot wait to see them again!

I like this band. "The Black Halo" is my favourite album from their music.

Unfortunately without Khan they won't be the same band anymore.

Not the same, but possibly better. Roy's voice is beautiful, he's my favorite male vocalist, but he's not some god. Don't give up on them just yet. :P Wait and see what happens.

^ Wise words. And also, I expect that Roy will return to music in some way - maybe just as a solo artist, who releases something now and then when he has the time. I hope he does in some way - it would be interesting to hear what it would be like.

^ Yes, I think it was primarily the aggressive touring that got to him. I mean, the others have families too, but different people react to situations differently, he probably felt as though he was being all rock star and not enough of a Husband/Father. :no: Also, he has never been known for having nerves of steel, so the constant air travel and the strain of trying to be perfect for the fans all the time, coupled with the fact that he is getting older just wore him down, I think. But that shouldn't stop him from being a studio artist, though I wouldn't expect any tours from him, not big ones anyway. I would love to see that happen, but it's the same as the situation with Kamelot, only time will tell.