Devious Mischievous

Nightwish Confessions

1,593 posts in this topic

Since I'm currently procrastinating doing some military-related homework (pfft!), I decided to create a new thread in the Nightwish section. Please READ the first post before posting. I don't want this thread used for something other than for which it was originally intended!

This is a thread that I don't believe we've had on previous incarnations of the forum, but I thought it might be an interesting thread to have, nonetheless.

RULES

1/ This is not for the type of 'confessions' that some of you might have seen on Tumblr! Do not post Anti-Anette or Tarja sentiments in this thread. Thank you in advance!

2/ You may post things that pertain to the band as a whole or a song.

(Example: Confession: I didn't like Dead Boy's Poem the first time I heard it).

(Note: That isn't true for me, I just used it as an example. post84125168357274.gif If someone actually does post that, however, I'll probably end up yelling, "Heresy!" in a joking manner).

3/ Keep in mind that everyone's entitled to their own opinion. So, if someone says that they can't stand "Sacrament of Wilderness," don't try to convince them to listen to it more because you happen to like the song.

4/ No attacking band members. (I should think that's an obvious rule, but I'm putting that here just in case).

If you think that more rules should be added, simply let me know, and I'll amend my original post. :)

I'll start!

Confession: I sometimes forget how much I love Nighwtish until I listen to them on a regular basis.

Confession: Eva makes me teary-eyed, and sometimes it makes me cry. post84125168357274.gif

Forgive me Devious, for I have sinned.

This is my first confession: I didn't like Dead Boy's Poem the first time I heard it. :P

Confession: I still can't stand Imaginaerum.

Confession: I hated The Poet and the Pendulum the first time I heard it.

Confession: I'm nowhere near as obsessed with Nightwish as I was in the past.

^ :P

Confession: I hated DPP the first time I heard it. And Anette's voice along with it. :unsure: That went away, thankfully, she just needed some getting used to. :P

Confession: I still laugh every time I hear Wishmaster after seeing the misheard version on youtube. :giggle:

Confession: First 3 Nightwish albums are their worst albums.

Confession: I thought Over the Hills and Far Away was a Nightwish original for probably a year.

Confession: Eva could be a great song if the lyrics were better

Confession: I really don't like the way Nightwish mixes/masters their music.

I'm going to get lynched for this one...

I'm actually not really that big a fan of their early stuff. It's pretty good, but the later stuff, especially iRum, is my idea of perfection. If it weren't for the later stuff, I'd never listen to the early stuff. And the more ridiculously bombastic orchestra and everything-including-the-kitchen-sink, the better. I admit it. That's just how my taste is. I'm not going to pretend I think otherwise just to fit in with the more popular opinion around here. I'm actually proud to have this opinion, it's nice to actually agree with Tuomas's creative decisions.

*hides from angry mob*

Confession: I cried the first time I listened to The Heart Asks Pleasure First

Confession: I can't stand Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean or The Pharaoh Sails To Orion

Confession: The first time I heard Nightwish it was Amaranth (with Anette obviously), so I didn't realize for a few days that Tarja was the first singer, and so when I stumbled on Nemo, my first thoughts were:

Oh. My. God. Who is this awful operatic woman with this great band? Of course, that went away and now I love her voice, though I'm still more partial to Anette.

I STILL don't like Arabesque. It has great soundstage on my headphones though

I'm going to get lynched for this one...

I'm actually not really that big a fan of their early stuff. It's pretty good, but the later stuff, especially iRum, is my idea of perfection. If it weren't for the later stuff, I'd never listen to the early stuff. And the more ridiculously bombastic orchestra and everything-including-the-kitchen-sink, the better. I admit it. That's just how my taste is. I'm not going to pretend I think otherwise just to fit in with the more popular opinion around here. I'm actually proud to have this opinion, it's nice to actually agree with Tuomas's creative decisions.

*hides from angry mob*

I love you, Yappo, because this is absolutely me. :P Except for the first bit. I really do like OB and WM, and even AFF, a lot. But I love the later albums. Imaginaerum is second only to CC for me, I LOVE IT. And I don't care if that's unpopular here, I know it is, but I adore iRum. I think it's the best thing they've done since CC. I still listen to an iRum song at least once a day. :P I can't say that for any of the earlier albums, even CC...but mostly because I tend to "save" CC for special occasions for some reason, and then I'll listen to it and be like OMG THIS IS AMAZING all over again. :P But I can't get enough of iRum, I just honestly find it so good and has so much replay value.

Confession: I love the orchestra in Nightwish. I know that's like, going to make me a social pariah in this section (:P), but I don't care. I love classical music, that's my musical background. I played as a classically trained pianist when I did piano, and I played as a classically trained cellist. I love New Age classical, so so much. I played in an orchestra for 4 years. I LOVE ORCHESTRA. :P

Confession: I really, really hate the keyboard intro to The Riddler. I always have. It's horrible. It's cheesy and grating and horribly recorded. I hate it so much.

Yappo, I agree with you 100% except I really like the earlier stuff (well, I adore AFF & OB)

Crimrose, gah, the verses of The Riddler ruin what is actually a good chorus, I agree with you on the keys :P

Confession: I hate hate hate Swanheart for the first like "All those beautiful people, I want to have them, I want to have them all".... its the most cringeworthy line Tuomi has ever come up with and not even the nice singing/music can make me like that song.

Confession: I adore Once Upon a Troubadour. Tuomi's quiet singing and all.

I love classical music too. So I love the orchestra.

But I confess, I HATE the sad, simple parts the band is playing alongside it. :P

My conession: It may be obvious, but I'll join the pariahs on the forum. I LOVE to death how Nightwish uses the orchestra. Nightwish first three albums, good as they are, are too generic for me. They have indeed beautiful lyrics, and certainly are the most amazing techincally speaking and I agree that it was about the band back then, not about the orchestra, yet for me they almost are LOOK! A Keeyboard solo!! LOOK a guitar solo! LOOOK WE IS STRATOVARIUS WITH A HOT GURL!! (too bad that would come true with Stratovarius) Instead, for me, the orchestra adds layers of details and depth to the music. They don't need guitar solos to shine ( iRum proves that) You have guitar solos in 99% of metal songs. I don't like guitar solos all over the place, I like them to be a climax to a song, and as such, not overused. The guitar solo in GLS is a clear example of it. Nightwish learned that, and I'm glad they are not trying anymore to prove themselves by adding keyboards and guitar solos all over the place, like they did in WM.

Another confession: I prefer many "old" songs sung by Anette. Most notably her versions of Creek Mary's Blood, Nemo, Sacrament of Wilderness and Romanticide.

Confession: I am forever grateful to Nightwish, since thanks to this forum...I found love.

Confession: I thought Over the Hills and Far Away was a Nightwish original for probably a year.

This is my confession too... except it was probably for more than a year.

Confession: The first time I heard The Poet and the Pendulum with that child singing I thought it was Anette XD and I remember I thought: ''she sounds really good'' and then she started to sing and I was <_< *EPIC FAILED* lol

Confession: Sometimes I wish NW makes an album with full of ballads due to Anette's voice, she is better with slow songs.

Confession: the first time I watched FWTE dvd I cried with Swanheart performance.

Confession: the first time I watched End of and Era documentary I cried and a lot with the final credits, all those concerts dates with Tarja made me realize that they wont ever be together....and when I watch the concert I also cry a lot when they hold their hands each other...It is the Farewell.

I don't understand why so many people dislike Dark Passion Play. I find it one of their most intense albums (in terms of passion and feeling in the lyrics and rhythm of the music).

I like the

version that Anette sent as a demo more than the original version (in terms of voice, guitar, drums etc.) - which is weird because I usually don't like the covers of Nightwish songs (like Gregorian's version of Meadows of Heaven).

I think Sleeping Sun is NW's most overrated song (=overly used and liked by non-NW fans - for personal covers etc.)

But, as was said before, it's all about tastes and preferences.

Edited by ish

why most of these confessions negative 'ie I hate' oh well

Confession: I'm jealous of my wife's Kinslayer promo CD

Confession: I actually didn't mind Tuomas's singing

Confession: I cannot stop listening to Imaginaerum

^ I know haha...many hidden feelings here XD

Another confession: everytime I see Marco doing stupid things, I want him to be part of my family.

Oh, yeah. Another confession: I LOVE DPP. Yes. I do. I agree with jesh, it think there are a lot of feelings put down into that album, and maybe that is why people find it difficult to relate to, but it is just a matter of trying to make those feelings your own.

Exactly ... I can relate with those feelings surrounding DPP ... The poet and the pendulum is my favourite Nightwish song so far ...

• I secretly Love "For the Heart I Once Had." It's a fantastic song.
  • I still can't get over the name "I Want My Tears Back". It's the cheesiest title of a Nightwish song ever. The song is great though.