Devious Mischievous

Nightwish Confessions

1,671 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Cristermo said:

I bet you are not a mother. Maybe that's the point. There's no emotional connection.

Yet Tuomas wrote the lyrics not as a parent but as a child, which everyone should be able to identify with. I get what Aniron and dragonprincess are saying - the lyrics seem... hollowed out? 

I had similar issues with Decades in the Sun, although not so much with the lyrics but the delivery itself. My biggest gripes are that the bridge section lacks a punch (musically and vocally) and that the children choir's vocal lines aren't very dynamic. The ending is magical though. 

20 hours ago, Cristermo said:

I bet you are not a mother. Maybe that's the point. There's no emotional connection.

17 hours ago, Wings89 said:

Yet Tuomas wrote the lyrics not as a parent but as a child, which everyone should be able to identify with. I get what Aniron and dragonprincess are saying - the lyrics seem... hollowed out? 

I had similar issues with Decades in the Sun, although not so much with the lyrics but the delivery itself. My biggest gripes are that the bridge section lacks a punch (musically and vocally) and that the children choir's vocal lines aren't very dynamic. The ending is magical though. 

Yes, thank you.

Cristermo, a mother to be in some weeks - however, I am a daughter who absolutely loves her parents so that is no argument for me. Floor did not sing this song as a mother either but as a daughter. As I said, I cannot put my finger on it why it fails me.

Yes, sometimes we just don't connect with the feeling of a song. Maybe if one day you listen to your child sing the song to you, everything will change.  I think the song works better for the parents :) By the way, congrats!  :horns:

I guess we all have different opinions of songs, and it's clear from these last posts, differences in how we perceive them.  I love Decades In The Sun, it makes me well up every time.  It didn't at first, but I listened to the album when I drove 4 hours to visit my Dad in hospital the day after he was rushed in and had most of his bowel removed.  He was in intensive care and I had no idea whether he would survive another hour, day or week.  Since that occasion, when I listen to it, I think of it as how I want my kids to feel about myself and my wife.  I hope they do, but I have no idea!

Two years down the line, my Dad is fine, BTW.  Intensive care for a few days, home after about 6 weeks with a stoma/bag, but that was reversed several weeks later.  80 next year.  He has his health problems, but he's doing OK.  Thank Arjen for the British NHS, and all those it saves...

On 19.11.2017 at 9:43 PM, Cristermo said:

Yes, sometimes we just don't connect with the feeling of a song. Maybe if one day you listen to your child sing the song to you, everything will change.  I think the song works better for the parents :) By the way, congrats!  :horns:

Yes, you've got a point there.

Thanks. :)

There is a similar problem with Dead Boy's Poem for me. I don't like the song that much tbh. For Tuomas is must be a highly emotional song because as far as I remember that he wrote it as a kind of things he would need to say before he dies. Anyway, I'm doing better with listening to Our Decades in the Sun. I don't skip it anymore and I wouldn't mind if they play that one during the Decades tour. Today's confession is that I hope they will never take Ghost Love Score off the setlist.

4 hours ago, dragonprincess said:

Today's confession is that I hope they will never take Ghost Love Score off the setlist.

Same here!!! 

My confession is that Dead Boy´s Poem gives me chills! Also happens with AFF (song) and Sleepwalker!

Honestly... I highly dislike Imaginaerum for many reasons. It has been mixed and mastered badly imho, I find many of the songs forgettable and even music-wise, it's their second weakest album imho, with only Angels bombing below it. But due to said other reasons, it's by far my least favorite NW-album.

Puts on a bomb suit and ducks for cover

On 11/2/2018 at 1:23 PM, dragonprincess said:

Today's confession is that I hope they will never take Ghost Love Score off the setlist.

Tbh I hope they do!! I love the song, but it has been played a lot of times since Floor joined!

I confess that the only Anette-era song that I'd love to hear with Floor is Whoever Brings the Night, I think she'd fit very well as it's definitely their most aggressive song sung by Nettie. And also that I would love to hear the songs @Serena mentioned above live in Argentina.

I confess that more times during the day than I should I think about whether Floor will like me or not when I meet her for the first time on the M&G this coming tour.

I confess i don't like fans who hate actual members or past members of the band, or even see this as a competition like who is better blahblah, they forgot about the wonderful nw music :horns:

There is nothing I can say but to agree with that what you said. I like every single Nightwish album. Doesn't matter who is singing the songs. If you take a look at comment sections below Nightwish videos on YouTube, there are still this discussions going on about who is better. I suppose that will never stop. I have to confess though that I prefer Floor singing most of the songs live compared to the previous two singers. But there is no need to re-record the old songs with Floor as some people might wish. Apart from that I have to confess that there are only eight months to wait until I'm going to see Nightwish live again for the sixth time.

Even though Floor seems to be the perfect fit for Nightwish, she hasn't really impressed me yet (on EFMB). I don't know whether it's her voice or the songs but I really didn't love the latest NW songs - I have to say that she blew me away when I saw her live with NW, though. I really hope that the upcoming material will make me fall in love with NW again but I only listen to NW's albums prior the Floor era, tbh.

On 9/3/2018 at 10:56 PM, Mainshow said:

Even though Floor seems to be the perfect fit for Nightwish, she hasn't really impressed me yet (on EFMB). I don't know whether it's her voice or the songs but I really didn't love the latest NW songs - I have to say that she blew me away when I saw her live with NW, though.

Yep, all floorgasmic moments she keeps for live shows. She has much greater potential than EFMB allows her to show.

Spoiler

Probably the most unpopular opinion on the forum: I confess I can't see Floor as a perfect fit for NW in any way :P

55 minutes ago, PoorYorick said:

Yep, all floorgasmic moments she keeps for live shows. She has much greater potential than EFMB allows her to show.

Agree with that though!

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not but Once is slowly becoming maybe my least favourite Nightwish album :dunno: I already knew many older fans don't hold it in a very high standard compared to earlier albums but I haven't heard anyone say it is their worst. It somehow sounds their most generic album to me and not very Nightwish-y. I used to love it but after actually carefully listening to all their albums again and again I feel that every album all the way from Angels Fall First to Endless Forms Most Beautiful have this unique Nightwish sound and feel to them but on Once I feel they were kind of lost.

It definitely has its highlights like Dark Chest of Wonders, Planet Hell, The Siren and Higher Than Hope (for me at least) but even they can't quite save the album for me. Why didn't I mention Ghost Love Score, it's such a beloved classic? I never actually got into Ghost Love Score in its studio version. It was Floor's live rendition that brought the song to life for me. Tarja's voice just didn't have the same impact on me on the album and I just didn't get the song back then so to say. Creek Mary's Blood was really powerful and as a composition it still is but the whole John Two-Hawks issue just ruined it for me unfortunately. 

Once is often compared to Dark Passion Play and I can see why. But for me Dark Passion Play is a lot more interesting. Even if it also has its fillers I feel it offers more variety and highlights than its predecessor. Some people don't like Anette's singing on DPP but Tarja clearly was at her weakest on Once. Those contemporary vocals are really not her cup of tea. She simply sounds boring on Once (just like Floor sounds a bit underused on EFMB). Even when it comes to bonus tracks DPP beats Once. Live To Tell The Tale and White Night Fantasy are easily some of the weakest tracks recorded by Nightwish ever whereas While Your Lips Are Still Red and Escapist are some of their best.

People usually say that AFF is NW's weakest album being just like an extended demo but I actually find it's sincerety really heartwarming and authentic. Once just feels cold. It's not a bad album by any means but to me it just doesn't have the same magic as the others. I didn't always feel like this and my opinion might change again after a while but this is how I currently feel for some reason.

57 minutes ago, Vattep said:

Creek Mary's Blood was really powerful and as a composition it still is but the whole John Two-Hawks issue just ruined it for me unfortunately. 

But you don't mind listening to some of the songs on DPP? It's always interesting to see what turns people off from music (outside of them just not liking the sound).

2 minutes ago, silverlining said:

But you don't mind listening to some of the songs on DPP? It's always interesting to see what turns people off from music (outside of them just not liking the sound).

I have the same problem with Creek (although it doesn't bother me that much nowadays, I can easily listen to it) and yeah I have no problem listening to the DPP songs. The Two-Hawks issue seems much more important than Tuomas being overdramatic imo.

There have been so many people proven to be frauds and just pretending to be Native Americans, that I'm really not surprised when something like this happens. I think because my expectations for authenticity are so low in these kind of situations when it comes out it's fake It doesn't bother me as much. 

On the other hand I don't think I'll ever totally get over my aversion to some of the lyrics DPP.

26 minutes ago, silverlining said:

Well... Not really no. Like many of us I also think some of the lyrics on that album are a bit cringeworthy but at the same time I like to think that they actually represent Tuomas' genuine feelings at the time. Elvenpath for example also has some goofy lyrics but it's a great song nonetheless.

Speaking of sound I really like how Dark Passion Play sounds. Compressed yes but I really like all the intrumentations and orchestrations there.

32 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

I have the same problem with Creek (although it doesn't bother me that much nowadays, I can easily listen to it) and yeah I have no problem listening to the DPP songs. The Two-Hawks issue seems much more important than Tuomas being overdramatic imo.

My thoughts exactly.

11 hours ago, Vattep said:

Elvenpath for example also has some goofy lyrics but it's a great song nonetheless.

Maybe it's because I read a lot of fantasy growing up, but I really don't mind songs about elves or lord of the rings or that kind of thing.

11 hours ago, Vattep said:

I like to think that they actually represent Tuomas' genuine feelings at the time.

I think that too, and it makes it worse for me. If one day it turned out the whole split was some kind of weird elaborate media thing to drive up interest in everyone's respective careers I think I'd be fine with the lyrics. But listening to a song bashing your ex-lead singer and her husband knowing you actually have real conflict with people, it's just not for me. I know I'm a minority in this and doesn't bother most people (diss tracks are super popular in lots of genres), but I don't know it just grosses me out. Just to clarify I'm not bothered by people expressing negative or hostile emotions in their music, I just don't like when you know exactly who it's about and all those kinds of details (so "You Oughta Know" is fine for me but "Cry Me a River" not so much)