Sign in to follow this  
nameless

Sports

446 posts in this topic

@Harvest

Well, this weekend, after crazy King´s Day here, the last Spring Cycling Classic is on on Sunday; Liege-Bastogne-Liege. After that, the Grand Tour riders will turn their attention to the Giro D´Italia. 

I love cycling. For me it´s by far the best way of transport on this earth! Outdoors, wind through your hair, independent, very healthy, few costs apart from a good bike and time enough to have a good view what´s around you....... 

It´s also the biggest reason why Dutch children become so independent minded. From a young age (6-8) they bike to school, friends and sport clubs on their own. It´s pure freedom and so little hassle for the parents as well. No car (mummy and daddy as taxi) independency. Personally, I think it´s one of the best things in the NL.

# The last time I played ice-hockey, was somewhere in the 1980´s, when the streets were covered by 50 cm of snow and me and my brother turned a 200 square meters of street in one slippery icy playing field. No cycling possible:P O, the memories! We played against each other from after school till late at night! We played a million games in what....7 or 8 days or so.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor fietsenrekken bij school

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor fietsen in natuur

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor fietsen in natuur

2 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

I love cycling. For me it´s by far the best way of transport on this earth! Outdoors, wind through your hair, independent, very healthy, few costs apart from a good bike and time enough to have a good view what´s around you....... 

It´s also the biggest reason why Dutch children become so independent minded. From a young age (6-8) they bike to school, friends and sport clubs on their own. It´s pure freedom and so little hassle for the parents as well. No car (mummy and daddy as taxi) independency. Personally, I think it´s one of the best things in the NL.

So do I. Now that the ice and snow have melted and they have cleared all the gravel off the bicycle paths, I've started going to work with my bicycle. It's been great, cool morning air, birds chirping, it really clears your head and you actually wake up. There are very good bicycle paths in my hometown and you can basically go anywhere with a bicycle. And since I'm going to the gym regularly, light bicycling is also a great way to get some recovery exercise as well. Rest is often understood as "laying in sofa and watching the telly", when in fact the best way to "rest" during those recovery days is actually light exercise. Of course you shouldn't drive Tour de France, simple few kilometer light bicycle trip to work is enough. 

2 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

# The last time I played ice-hockey, was somewhere in the 1980´s, when the streets were covered by 50 cm of snow and me and my brother turned a 200 square meters of street in one slippery icy playing field. No cycling possible:P O, the memories! We played against each other from after school till late at night! We played a million games in what....7 or 8 days or so.

We used to that a lot after school, when we where kids. There was a rink nearby and lot's of our neighborhoods kids went there to play. The games often turned into rather physical battles. Nothing too serious, though, a couple of bloody noses every now and then:giggle:.  Good ol' hockey game.

And yeah, the memories......

^Yeah, I was about to say the same. Hockey games often turned into fights :D

Well, today is the final game of the season in Hämeenlinna. 

Series is now 2-3 to Kärpät and HPK is in the ropes. They either tie the series today and then it's final 7 in Oulu (the most unlikely place to win) or we must watch how Kärpät celebrates yet another championship tonight in Hämeenlinna. 

Come what may, I'm proud of these guys. Nobody (including the fans) predicted that this team would make it to the finals, when season started. Even during the regular season's best moments, most of us thought that maybe playoffs, even bronze, but that's it. Then they managed to beat beat major Finnish team TPS 4-1 in quarterfinals and were up against Tampere team Tappara. Again, most of believed that they will never clinch that series. But they did. 

And after that they managed to challenge the ruling champion, Kärpät, with offensive game and forced them to adapt a very uncommon tactic (for Kärpät), as they started playing very conservative mix of trap+counterattacks instead of typical offensive minded style the are known for after HPK won games 2 and 3.  And like they say, you win regular seasons with offense and championships with defense. Kärpät took the initiative back in games 4 and 5. 

But there's still that fool's hope....

And this will also be the last game in HPK-shirt for many of these hockey heroes. As usual, NHL, KHL and major Finnish teams with more money take majority of the best players. That's the law of the land. Some players have big shoes to fill when next season starts. 

And lastly , my only hope for team is this, in the words of Iron Maiden - If you gonna die, die with your boots on. To  Hämeenlinna, one more time.

EDIT:

And it's game 7 this Saturday after HPK's 1-0 victory. Our goalie, Emil Larmi, was fantastic today, saved lots of good scoring chances. Sometimes one goal is enough, even in hockey. 

No excuses after Saturday, may the best team win. 

Edit nr. 2

@hunebedbouwer

This happened!!!!!!!!!

1159782.jpg

HPK won their second Finnish Championship after an overtime thriller. This was the 3rd time Kärpät played a seven game final series during 2010's and 3rd time the 7th game went overtime. The last two Kärpät won, this time it was HPK's turn. 

A btw, nr 7, holding the cup, team Captain Otto Paajanen. You never see guys like this make big headlines, but when you support a team you learn to respect them. Paajanen played 4 seasons in a row without losing one game. A small miracle knowing his work ethic on the ice. He's always there fighting for pucks in the corners, in front of the net, working his ass off in the rink. It didn't matter whether it rained or shined, poured snow or sleet, this guy was always there, giving his best.

He has been a part of HPK-franchise during those bad years and this molded him to be a leader on the ice. A modest, calm, quiet gentleman. I miss him all ready, since he is going to play for HIFK next season. So @whitenoise, take good care of this guy in Helsinki:D.

@whitenoise,

Thanks. Looking back the game objectively now (yesterday I couldn't), I have to admit that high sticking call in  overtime was a bad one (seen 3:35 onward on that clip). It's was the stick of Niclas Lucenius that hit that HPK defense man's face, not Aleksi Heponiemi. Well, errare humanum est, the refs are only human and the game is fast. Nice to see how calmly the majority of Kärpät-community are taking this thing, which eventually gave HPK the chance to win the title. And I hope we HPK-fans remember this, when Karma eventually evens things out. 

@Harvest

edef9c55b1538bfdef498db23d06b07412908776

Well, well, well............................you´re a champion winning fan!!! Who would have thought that? Is the club now gonna be raided by other teams, like the current Ajax team in football?

I thought I should wait a while with my congratulations, imagining you were laying under one of the tribunes, still drunken as a canon from celebrating and totally oblivious to the rest of the world!!!!!!!!!!!:giggle::giggle:

So, this was HPK´s second championship........since 1786???:P

I know what it feels like, because my favourite (I played about 30 years for them - not first team though) football team, ACV from Assen-amateurs) from the NL were overall champions in 1986 for the last time (second time). Since then, top amateur football has changed dramatically into semi- and professional clubs and relegation and promotion into the professional leagues. ACV chose to stay pretty much amateur and are now playing in the 5th highest league, the more or less second tier amateurs.

It´s hard to explain, because in the NL you got a Saturday and Sunday divide on amateur level. That dates basically back to one thing; being protestant (Saturday) and the rest (Sunday). Both had 3 highest amateur classes. Their champions played each other for the national Saturday and Sunday overall title. Then, both winners played eachother for the National title........on a Saturday.  

The Saturday branche was quite a bit stronger, drew much more spectators (lots and lots of heavy disputed derbies - some drew more than 10.000 people!!!) and they won the overall title about 70/30 percent. But that is completely changed now and it´s not as interesting anymore, because our FA also did put the professional youth teams (Ajax, PSV etc.) in those leagues. 

These youth teams are also used for injured professional players in their comebacks. So, imagine on a Saturday afternoon you´re playing the Ajax youth team and suddenly you were playing against Luis Suarez, Virgil van Dijk or Romario!!!!! No fun at all. Nice to see them ofcourse, but it was tempering with the competition. I seldom watch ACV anymore, because I live in Amersfoort alredy a long time, but I still keep track of them every week. My real love for football began with ACV in competive form at 6 years old and it will never go away. 

( on other sport news................

AJAX! AJAX!! AJAX!!!

What can I say? Never ever expected that to be happening again! By saying that, it also makes clear the reason why I don´t like football anymore. The possibillities for famous European clubs from small countries to compete with those horrible rich (and owned and sponsored by the most disgusting people and states). I hope and think they will beat Spurs, but I doubt very much they have a chance against Barcelona in the final.

The Finnish female Kimi (Emma Kimilainen) crashed out on the first ever W series yesterday! Not her fault and she was pretty annoyed to say the least!!

dd8e017875e87d687abfe0128e90d58776694df4 

21 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Harvest

Is the club now gonna be raided by other teams, like the current Ajax team in football?

As usual, HPK will lose some of their best players (most notably Teemu Turunen, Otto Paajanen and goalie Emil Larmi). But, it's the same for every team now. Even Kärpät will lose their best players. The most important thing is that HPK has ongoing contracts with a few key players and there are rumors of very good players joining the team in a few weeks. Financially HPK is going in the right direction, spectators found their way back to the arena during this season and our CEO declared that the team had made profit since December. And HPK also hired a Sports Manager in charge of player contracts, Mika Toivola and this guy made very good choices during this season.  The future looks pretty bright now, most importantly our coach, Antti Pennanen has one more year in HPK, before starting as a head coach for Finnish U20's National Team. 

I thought I should wait a while with my congratulations, imagining you were laying under one of the tribunes, still drunken as a canon from celebrating and totally oblivious to the rest of the world!!!!!!!!!!!:giggle::giggle:

I'm too old for that "diving in a fountain naked and completely wasted"-stuff.  And that wouldn't be a pretty sight. So, a couple of drinks and early to bed:D

So, this was HPK´s second championship........since 1786???:P

1500. That's also the year they stopped playing with axes and established hockey sticks:D

Well, a recap on HPK-history:

HPK (Hämeenlinnan Pallokerho or Hämeenlinna Ball Club) was established 1930 as a bandy and baseball-team. Back then Hämeenlinna had Tarmo as their flagship hockey team. After WW2 HPK started stearing towards hockey, challenging Tarmo as the nr.1 team in Hämeenlinna. Eventually they both dropped from Finnish league to lower level leagues in the end of 50's/start of 60's and  this turned out to be a quarter of a century long streak without a team from Hämeenlinna in top Finnish Hockey League-level. 

Tarmo eventually had to quit ice hockey during the end of the 70's and what ever was left of the team was fused with HPK. 1979  Rinkelinmäki-ice rink was turned to an ice hall and HPK began their project of returning to Finnish League. HPK returned to the league for season 83-84, but this was short lived. They won only 3 games during the season and dropped back to 1st division. Financial troubles also ensued. 

During the season of 85-86 began a project called "Journey to the Top". The aim was to get HPK permanently on the top Finnish League. A strong lead figure, Harri Lintumäki, started his career in HPK's board of directors. HPK secured a spot in the league, won their first bronze during the season 90-91, shortly followed by their first final series against TPS (season 92-93), which led to silver medals. It was during this series young Harvest started having sympathies towards this Hämeenlinna-team, but since I live about 50 km from Hämeenlinna I really didn't have an opportunity to go to the games. 

Rinkelinmäki-arena started having a notorious reputation, because of the furious fans. Most notably the C5-standing section located behind the opposing teams bench. They earned the nick name Sikakatsomo or "Pig Stand" as they were constantly tormenting the opposing team with their sometimes below-the-belt-type of screaming. 

In January -96 I started serving my 330 days in Finnish Governments school for boys aka Finnish Army. Armoured Brigade is located in Parolannummi just outside Hämeenlinna and they gave tickets to HPK-games during evening leaves. I saw my first games in Rinkelinmäki during this time. 

As the years went by HPK secured their spot as one of Finnish Leagues top teams, but they always seemed to end up with bronze medals around their necks. This earned them the nick name Hämeenlinna Bronze Club from other teams fans. HPK also earned a reputation as team to scout talents and as a team to evolve players. Many prospects chose HPK, because HPK could offer these young players lots of responsibility. Rinkelinmäki-arena became a tough place for other teams, because of that furious bunch of fans and that legendary "first period", in which HPK usually threw everything they got against the opposing team. 

I finally stepped out of the closet during the season of 99-00 and declared myself an HPK-fan. And that season still remains one of the most bittersweet ones. HPK had a fantastic team with Czech-players Tomas Vlasak and Roman Simicek and of course the legendary Timo Pärssinen-Niko Kapanen-Jukka Hentunen-trio, which earned the nickname "Teletubbies", because of their diminutive size. But boy, they could play. Their fast passing game combined with quick feet. It was art. Eventually the season ended, again, after HPK lost the semi finals against Helsinki-team Jokerit. And ended up winning bronzes, the third bronzes in four years. 

2001 HPK hired an unknown coach called Jukka Jalonen. Jalonen quickly became a hot name, because of the very offensive-minded game HPK was playing. During this time another legendary HPK-trio was born. Antti Miettinen-Tommi Santala-Eero Somervuori, shortly SMS. When this trio was playing their best game, the opposing team couldn't make it to their blue line in an orderly fashion. During the two first regular seasons under Jalonen, HPK scored grand total of 430 goals and won regular season during the season of 2002-03. But, again, they lost the semis and won bronzes. The semis of 01-02 against Jokerit and  02-03 against Tappara are still one of the most bittersweet hockey memories I have. Time just doesn't make them better. 

Jalonen started going into more defense-minded direction. Still another two bronze games was needed until the season of 2005-06, when HPK finally won their first championship. 

After that began the downward spiral. Jalonen lead HPK to one more bronze and then took the duties of coaching Finnish national team and HPK started wondering without a clear vision. The era of Lintumäki also ended and it seemed  more than a decade of fighting for the championship and suddenly winning it seemed to be enough for the fans as well. The once notorious Rinkelinmäki started slowly turning into a church. 

HPK won one more silver during the era of Jukka Rautakorpi, but they weren't fiscally responsible. The expensive teams during that era resulted in massive economic losses. HPK lost their true identity. This team can't afford to buy players, you have to raise them and to do that you need right people in right spots. The first seasons of 2010's were disasters as HPK fired coaches left and right. 

Until they finally returned to the style they are known for during season 2016-17. They hired a young, promising coach Antti Pennanen, started thinking long term again. His first season ended in quarterfinals, during this season Niko Kapanen returned to HPK-shirt to play his last season before retiring. His feet weren't what they used to be, but that Pentium-processor inside his head was still there. Kapanen is one of the most stylish centers Finnish hockey has ever seen. U20 World Champion, World Champion during 2011 tournament, Russian Champion, Finnish Champion playing for TPS, Turku, Olympic Game silver medalist 2006 Turin and so on and so on. 

During season 17-18   Pennanen was still paying his dues. The season went bad and HPK  didn't make it to playoffs,  but that was the learning curve needed. This time HPK gave him time to grow and this decision is now paying dividends. 

As a fan, I started to have that weird "feeling" during Christmas time. As if the old HPK I once started following with a passion had returned. You just know it, when things start to click. Suddenly there is that positive vibe again. People finding themselves back to the arena and even after a lost game people didn't start digging graves anymore.  During the playoffs you couldn't hear your own thoughts in Rinkelinmäki-arena, the noise was just incredible. The Arena was that hornets nest again.  Out of the 8 games HPK played in Rinkelinmäki during the playoffs, they lost only one. Now that's home advantage for you. That furious support from the fans played a role. 

Well, World Championships and then a summer vacation far away from hockey. It's has been  a long season.......

@Harvest

Dear Lord,

Now you have stuffed my dementing brain full of really unnecessary facts about a Finnish ice-hcckey club named HPK. How on earth do I get rid off that!! :giggle: 

Is that Turunen a little brother of Tarja? Ofcourse, I do make the stupid needless assumption that Tarja is related to every Turunen in Finland and especially the ones that hang around HPK and Kitee, but hey, I might as well use my off topic talent! 

@whitenoise

I could see that she is more talkative. Not only that....I really thought she was going to hammer the girl that caused the crash!!!!!!!!!!!!:music:

15 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Harvest

Dear Lord,

Now you have stuffed my dementing brain full of really unnecessary facts about a Finnish ice-gockrey club named HPK. How on earth do I get rid off that!! :giggle: 

Is that Turunen a little brother of Tarja? Ofcourse, I do make the stupid needless assumption that Tarja is related to every Turunen in Finland and especially the ones that hang around HPK and Kitee, but hey, I might as well use my off topic talent! 

My unnecessary facts combined with your off-topic. What a combo:D.

All the Turunen in Finland are related. They mostly wonder around in Finnish countryside, but sometimes they wonder in our cities and start singing opera in a medal band or playing ice hockey. There is also another Turunen in HPK, this time called Timo. He is their coach in charge of physical training. Rumor has it that nobody dared to skip their training after this Turunen started as their coach (he always has that "Is that slacking I see there" look in his face:giggle:):

IMG_7705.JPG?itok=uRVV_YTK

Another unnecessary fact and then I will shut up. HPK's traditional goal song, they play this song every time when HPK scores in Rinkelinmäki. It's often mentioned by fans of other teams as one of the most annoying songs you can hear during a hockey game. I think that's a compliment.It's called Se On Siellä (which roughly means It's In the Net) and the lyrics are about HPK ridiculing their opponent by doing goal after goal. 

The teams all have their goal horns and don't tell this to Whitenoise, but I actually adore the HIFK-goal horn. It's like a goal horn-version of that joke that is so bad that it's actually brilliant. Annoying as hell, too.

Well, now I'm going to jump on Ajax-bandwagon. Hockey has occupied my time completely, I haven't had any energy left to follow the Champion's League. Nice to see Ajax doing great again and of course big thumbs up for dropping Real Madrid. :good::good:

@Harvest

Hahaha........that goal horn is nationally known here in the NL!!!:music::P

They play it every first Monday of every month in all cities and towns!!!!!!!!!! Yes. yes. You didn´t know that, eh?

Since the 90´s, I think, it has become a bit more melodious. Still, ice-hockey is very small here.......or should I say, because of these sirens..........? Man, they need earplugs in the Finnish competition.

Oh no, not the AJAX-bandwagon!!!!! It needs to be an almighty crushing stream train that obliterates Tottenham Hotspur and Barcelona to win their 5th European Cup!!!! I´ll give you an example of the songs that became no.1 hits in the NL in 1995, when Ajax won their last one (with Litmanen & co.);

When they arrived back from the final in Vienna, Amsterdam was absolute heaving with joy and pure bliss!! I was there and it was absolutely one of the finest days in my life. Not one bad incident, just one big happy, crying, celebrating, singing, shouting mass of people (they reported about 1 - 1,3 million people. Unforgettable! I lost my voice for 4 days and only after 2 weeks it returned to normal.:giggle:  

EDIT:

Make that Liverpool instead of Barcelona! What a match! What great goals! Well deserved!!! Suarez always will be one of the dirtiest footballers of all time. 

Come on AJAX!!

On 5/7/2019 at 12:42 PM, hunebedbouwer said:

Come on AJAX!!

Commiserations, @hunebedbouwer

Sports can be cruel sometimes. Finland-Sweden 2003 World Hockey Championships quarterfinals, a game which never happened by the way. I'm still in that denial-stage:D.

Finland won their first game in Hockey World Championships against Canada. Mighty good start for this team that nobody seems to believe in. 

@Harvest

Yep, really sour, especially because it happened in the dying seconds. BUT..........it was a bit self inflicted also, because they just should have defended ferociously for 90 minutes to get to the final. They proved they can play fantastic football already. Go for the result once! The other thing that counts against AJAX is, that they should be deadlier in finishing. They should have finished the job already in England. And lastly, when you´re leading 3-0 on aggregate, you never should give away that advantage! Not against Tottenham.

I was devastated for a couple of hours, because when is a chance like that coming again? Anyway, we still got some Dutchies at Liverpool and I do hope they will win the cup. They do play attractive football!!!!!

The coming 3 weeks I will follow the Giro D´Italia very close!!!!!!!! I will only cook and eat pasta, drink capucchino´s and espresso´s and devour proper Italian gelato! Heya Tom, Steven and Bauke! And Roglic to a point!

13 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

The coming 3 weeks I will follow the Giro D´Italia very close!!!!!!!! I will only cook and eat pasta, drink capucchino´s and espresso´s and devour proper Italian gelato! Heya Tom, Steven and Bauke! And Roglic to a point!

And now I'm thinking about Tiramisu. Italian food and desserts.......

Starting to feel sympathy towards Finnish team in World Championships. A number of NHL-players declined to come and result was, once again, a hot debate on the subject "What's wrong with Finnish NHL-stars, since they are not willing to play for Finnish National Team". Personally, I couldn't give a damn. If these players have injuries, oncoming contract negotiations, new born babies or what ever, it's not our business. They don't owe Finnish public or media. Besides, a year ago Finland had nearly every player possible. The media seems to forget this.  And I'm tired of this debate. Every god damn year, the same whining and complaining starts like clock work. 

Besides the current team is doing very well. They won their second game against Slovakia, they actually play with lot's of heart and they play very entertaining hockey. Young Kaapo Kakko has been phenomenal so far, scoring five goals in two games. When this guy has the puck puck in the offensive end, anything can happen.

So, maybe it's better that you have a team filled with hungry players with something to prove, instead of a bunch of stars who's "real games" have just ended and who are waiting for their summer holidays to begin after a long season. 

No chance of following the Worlds Slapstick (:giggle:) Championships at all........ Wouldn´t know where to look for either (no dodgy illegal streams for me anymore; spam/viruses, exhausting my F5 button to the limits, etc.) Anyway, it´s almost summer, but the weather doesn´t coorporate either.  

What the hell is Denmark doing there, by the way? Next thing  would be, that Belgium suddenly overtakes us and show up at the Worlds!!! No, no we can´t have that! 

Now I can live with this.............The Bikini Hockey League......what do you think?

Lots of body checking, I guess.......

hqdefault.jpg

On 5/13/2019 at 10:08 PM, hunebedbouwer said:

No chance of following the Worlds Slapstick (:giggle:) Championships at all........ Wouldn´t know where to look for either (no dodgy illegal streams for me anymore; spam/viruses, exhausting my F5 button to the limits, etc.) Anyway, it´s almost summer, but the weather doesn´t coorporate either.  

What the hell is Denmark doing there, by the way? Next thing  would be, that Belgium suddenly overtakes us and show up at the Worlds!!! No, no we can´t have that! 

Use adblock:giggle:. At least, it takes care of that spam. Of course the illegal stream might not work, but at least you don't get spam.

One could argue that Denmark is actually a stronger team "on paper" than Finnish team. They have guys like Mikkel Boedker or Lars Eller, who are very good players even in NHL-level. Level of Hockey in Denmark has improved lately and they have their own very promising talents. Not quite Switzerland, Slovakia or Germany, the biggest challengers for "big six" (Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland, Russia and Czech Republic), but they are getting there.

I actually had to check that Bikini Hockey League. Shame it apparently vanished from the face of the earth. There was some thought behind that one. 

What's next, pillow fight in French Lingerie. Not that I would have anything against that, though:giggle:

Kaapo Kakko. Finland has scored 12 goals so far, Kakko has scored 6 of them, given assist to one and and the second goal Finland scored against Denmark was also a result of a drop pass by Kakko. His goal against Denmark was another gem. And of course he has also created numerous very good scoring chances for other players, but somehow they have managed to miss those chances. 

Every hockey media is currently all over Kakko and every journalist is now speculating about next summer's NHL-draft. Will Kakko be the first Finnish nr.1 draft pick? Personally I don't think that matters. Nr. 1 or nr.2, this guy will probably have a lucrative career in NHL, starting next autumn. His days in Finnish Hockey League are over.