Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MusicNerd1791

The Gathering

67 posts in this topic

Wasn't that surprised. I had been pretty quiet for some time, Gathering didn't do that many shows anymore and the music itself has lost some of it's magic. There were great moments like Heroes For Ghosts, but most of it didn't really hit me.

But, it's only a hiatus and let's see what happens in the future. They all ready did some 20th anniversary shows with their original line-up. And Mandylion's 20th anniversary is coming soon.... (please,pleaseplease) :)

I am very addicted to this  'Heroes for ghosts' song of their latest album. I think Silje has a very good voice, also live. To prove that:

I think she is perfect for the band now she seems to get more confident. 

Yes, Silje has a very haunting and airy voice especially at Disclosure. She really is a perfect frontwoman for The Gathering after Anneke.

Silje amazed me on Disclosure and now I'm loving The west pole as well. Never get into Afterwords that much yet. Got to give it more spins.

The Gathering news on their Facebook page:

"The Gathering: 25 Years of Diving into the Unknown - Special Anniversary Show.

On Sunday November 9 of this year, the Gathering will celebrate its 25th anniversary with a one-time special show at the beautiful new Doornroosje venue in Nijmegen, the Netherlands. All band members who ever graced the Gathering's line-up since the beginning in 1989 until the present day will appear on stage and perform in this unique show together. Hans Rutten, one of the original Gathering members who's still in the present line-up: 'after 25 years of diving into the unknown, making music from the heart and trying to renew ourselves, we are very happy to be able to celebrate this with all past and present band members. It is a unique gathering and we feel blessed and privileged. We have made a lot of friends all over the world throughout the years and we hope to share this evening together'. Ticket sales start this friday the 20th of june 10:00 CET at the Doornroosje ticketsite:

Don't forget to register first. Please note sales start this friday, it's not on the agenda yet.
Alongside this unique gig The Gathering will release a 'Best of' album which will be available at Doornroosje the 9th of november. More details soon.
Thank you!
René Rutten - Frank Boeijen - Hans Rutten - Silje Wergeland
Anneke van Giersbergen - Hugo Prinsen Geerligs
Marjolein Kooijman - Jelmer Wiersma - Bart Smits - Marike Groot"

I hope they will film the concert.  :)

HELL YES!!!!!!!!

Niels Duffhues will be there as well. :)

I badly wish there's a DVD recording of this once in a lifetime show!

And after that a special 20-anniversary Mandylion tour with Nighttime Birds and HTMAP-highlights as well. Sort of golden years-tour (please, please).

If there will be a DVD-release, that would be one of the biggest "must buys" in a long time. I really hope there will be.

Anyone knew this piece of music called "City from above"? It's apparantly from a 2009 EP with the same name.The song was written for a modern dance project in 's-Hertogenbosch in the NL.

It's just full on weird compared to their other stuff and looks like an accusation against modern cities. 

Watching these Doornroosje-clips from YT and I surely hope they will do this again some day. If not, hats off for a great band. Anneke almost bursting into tears singing that end part of Travel is an icing on the cake. Pure emotion.

After listening so many good symphonic metal bands The Gathering was disappointment for me. I think its far from metal and far from symphonic. Anneke has lovely voice, maybe I will listen to her solo work now.

Who called the Gathering symphonic?

It's either death/doom (Always..), atmospheric/gothic (Almost a Dance and Mandylion) or progressive metal/rock from Nighttime Birds onwards. Pretty much a musical cousin to Anathema and Tiamat, for example. The reason they always mention this band is that Mandylion paved way for so many other female lead metal bands (for example Lacuna Coil and Evanescense could be mentioned).  And Anneke influenced many of these singers as well.

Mandylion and Nighttime Birds are metal. I haven't listened to their whole discography though so i cant speak for it.

But as Harvest said i dont remember anyone calling them symphonic.

My apologies, I don't know all their discogaphy, I thought they were symphonic metal. You know when you're listening something for the first time and you don't remember things at first listen? When you listen music more and more you find each time something new. I'll give a second chance to The Gathering.

You know when you're listening something for the first time and you don't remember things at first listen? When you listen music more and more you find each time something new. I'll give a second chance to The Gathering.

That's what happened to me with the Gathering. I actually wasn't that impressed at first. Even Anneke (yeah, this is true) didn't impress me that much. But, slowly I began to like their minimalistic, atmospheric approach more. And it was actually those more experimental records from Measure a Planet to Home that got me hooked to this band. I'm still not that the biggest fan of Mandylion, I think it has bunch of rather useles instumental passeges in it and the lyrics are rather juvenile at this point. From Nighttime Birds onwards songs start to be more compact. And Anneke starts to mature and bring out those stunning nuances she's known for.

It was actually these two songs that got me hooked. On Most Surfaces, despite of it's rather strange title, is a beautiful cold winter day song. This is actually closer to post-rock than metal stylewise. I love that brigde-section, btw. Annie at her best.

Herbal Movement is dreamy, psychedelic song with great production. Often that term "progressive" is unterstood as long, winding compositions and time signature changes. But the actual term means favoring change, progress and improvement. So i'd say in that sence the Gathering is progressive. I do feel they kind of found their "own style" after they left the metal scene. And these kind of dreamy, atmospheric songs bring out the best on Anneke's vocals as well.

I think I've been through the same feeling of "not being shocked" by the band at first, and then came the "full-enjoyment" feeling after the "re-discovering", with all the female-front metal bands. The Gathering wasn't the exception, a friend of mine showed me "Leaves" and "Strange Machines" and I didn't find it amusing at all.

The it was the time for the "re-discovering" stage around 2011, and I can't stop listening to them since then. Totally in love with Anneke's voice, which I think is one of the most versatile voices I've ever heard.

I think it's the alternative atmosphere of The Gathering what I like the most. I usually listen to bands like Radiohead, Blur, Soda Stereo, Portishead, Coldplay (first albums), and TG always reminded me of some aspects of those bands, specially the whole atmosphere.

"Mandylion" and "How to Meassure a Planet" are my favourite albums so far. The others are really good imo, but I just love those two right now.

I'd say the Gathering needs a certain feeling to work. It's just that minimalistic approach they had. It's not music for the parties for sure.

But, I work shifts and I often had my I-Pod with me. Imagine a break in 4 am in the morning, sitting outside watching the sun rising and listening to Nighttime Birds. I'd say the atmosphere is about right.

Ok Computer influenced loads of these bands they now call "neoprog" with that Pro-Tools based soundscaping. Funny thing is, I've never really enjoyed that record. It's just too cold, depressing and nihilistic for my taste. But, many of these bands like Gathering, Anathema, Porcupine Tree or Gazpacho, that take their main influence from that record, have become my favorite. 

My story in discovering The Gathering was a bit different. I had a friend who introduced me to the band (the same guy who introduced me to extreme metal music) and gave me a copy of their latest album that time which is "Home". I kinda thought it actually belongs to Symphonic Metal section, so was really confused while listening to the CD. I was waiting for some headbanging moments but nothing comes out of course. I told him I didn't like it that much and said it could've been better, I guess. I left it there until I decided to browse through their catalog and gave Mandylion a listen. I was totally blown away!!! Then there's Nighttime Birds, such amazing album!!!

I only listened to their "metal albums" most of the time, until I decided to give their other albums a chance; and I regret that it took me a while before I actually appreciated it. 

The Gathering - La Lutine

The only information I could find about this never released song is, that is was a try-out on the Benelux-tour in 2004. 

This is the best live version available. Later it became 'Home' on the eponymous album of 2006, but changed quite considerably. The song breathes a bit of that The Gentle Storm atmosphere: sea faring story tale.

La Lutine was a French built (1779) war frigate which served both in the French and English navy. In 1799, she sailed from Yarmouth to Cuxhaven, with more than 100 million pounds in today's money in gold aboard to support the Hamburg banks against Napoleon. During a heavy storm she sank between the Dutch islands Vlieland and Terschelling. Due to the shifting sands and strong currents only a small amount of money and the ship's bell were salvaged, despite many efforts, also in later times. The bell hangs in the headquarters of Lloyd's in London and is rung at special occasions.........one stroke for bad news, two strokes for good news. I was always intrigued by the story as I own two books on the subject, but never knew that Anneke had sung about it.   

La Lutine (let's call it the original - 2004)

Home (from the album - 2006)

I'm getting more and more into The Gathering, a band that I never gave much attention before I joined this forum. I really should be ashamed being a fellow Dutchie and all that, but better late than never! I think I suffered from that quite common disease to NOT investigate music further if it was labelled death/doom metal 20 years ago. And in contrast to my friends, my music taste changed to liking the harder genres the last 8 years, than the other way around.  :teehee:

Three songs I like:

You Learn About It

Amity

Marooned

Yeah, the Gathering is one of those bellow the radar-bands, you always keep hearing about, when this femme metal is mentioned. I didn't give them that much attention at first and I didn't even find Anneke to be that special. In the end their minimalistic approach worked and they became one of my favorite bands. 

You Learn About It is very good song. These Anneke and Danny Cavanagh-versions are also magical. I wish they would do this again some day. 

Waking Hour. That middlepart and Rene's guitarwork. 

Travel. One of my all time favorite live-performances. 

Harvest, that rendition of 'You learn about it' is quite touching! The other two songs are great as well!

I saw their opening song 'Saturnine' of their 25th anniversary concert in Nijmegen yesterday.....everybody very happy and rhythmic (especially at the end) and the rendition of 'Travel', which you already posted before, with Anneke being emotional.

Was Anneke 'kicked' out of the band or did she leave, to go her own way? Never understood the reason of their break-up really.  Anyway, she could never have become that buzzing musical bee that she is now, when she had stayed on. 

Was Anneke 'kicked' out of the band or did she leave, to go her own way? Never understood the reason of their break-up really.  Anyway, she could never have become that buzzing musical bee that she is now, when she had stayed on. 

She left the band. Nothing dramatic, she just decided to give more time to her family and start her own career as this busy bee she is. I was just starting to listen their music back in 2007 when Anneke left, so I missed the last performance of Home-tour, which was in Finland (Ankkarock 2007). It would be nice to see them doing something similar like they did in their 25th Anniversary show, but I guess it was just that one time.

I'm totally in love with The Gathering's anniversary concert recording - https://thegathering.bandcamp.com/(you can listen to it all there.) It's wonderfully guitar heavy, and I prefer many of the arrangements to the quieter studio versions. Oh I'm obsessed!

Their voices are great - Anneke can be pitchy live, but wow she sounds good here. Stronger and more beautiful. Love the two doom/death songs nestled in the middle, with Marike Groot reaching those high notes during King for a Day. Newer songs like Heroes for Ghosts and I Can See Four Miles are just as good as their classics.

Like some of you, I took a while getting into them thinking they'd be more metal or loud alt-guitar, so this would have been a good starting place for me. Might be my favorite The Gathering release.

So many epic songs! Gah, Travel leaves me breathless.

Like some of you, I took a while getting into them thinking they'd be more metal or loud alt-guitar, so this would have been a good starting place for me. Might be my favorite The Gathering release.

The Gathering is too often titled as a metal band, when in fact they started going into more experimental direction after Mandylion. And since How to Measure a Planet they started doing this Radiohead/Massive Attack-type of alt rock some have called "trip rock". More neoprog and even triphop-influences instead of that doom/goth-style they had when they began. Quite similar approach to Anathema, IMO, they are like musical cousins. 

With this many changes in a bands musical style, it takes a while to fully enjoy their catalogue. And yes, Travel is a masterpiece.

That's what surprised me about the 25th anniversary concerts - they've explored many styles over the years, and yet the concert versions are great loud guitar takes. I thought they'd want to represent all their styles. But looking at past live videos, they perhaps lean towards loud guitars when playing live.

This is the Anneke-style I do prefer, if you compare it to what she has done solo on her last few albums for example:

The Gathering - 'Rescue me' - live in Bochum in 2000. The start reminds me a bit of their song 'Heroes for ghosts' from the 'Disclosure' album.

'Big sleep' live in Chile in 2004 in front of an adoring crowd . It just hit me how good they actually were! And I missed most of it. :(