Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MusicNerd1791

The Gathering

64 posts in this topic

Like some of you, I took a while getting into them thinking they'd be more metal or loud alt-guitar, so this would have been a good starting place for me. Might be my favorite The Gathering release.

The Gathering is too often titled as a metal band, when in fact they started going into more experimental direction after Mandylion. And since How to Measure a Planet they started doing this Radiohead/Massive Attack-type of alt rock some have called "trip rock". More neoprog and even triphop-influences instead of that doom/goth-style they had when they began. Quite similar approach to Anathema, IMO, they are like musical cousins. 

With this many changes in a bands musical style, it takes a while to fully enjoy their catalogue. And yes, Travel is a masterpiece.

To be honest, I feel The Gathering's greatest achievement gets consistently overlooked.

That would be successfully ripping off The Serpent's Egg-era Dead Can Dance (released 23 years ago today!).

Lot of people have tried, but I think only The Gathering in the title track to Mandylion managed to pulled it off.

I think reusing the DoD formula to the letter (complete with vocalizations, african drums and synth pads) without sounding like a third-rate imitator is something to be very very proud of.

For hew uninitiated, compare:

This unreleased track is part of a new release called "Blueprints", it features 24 tracks of outtakes, demos and unreleased songs taken from the "Souvenirs" and "Home" recordings. Amazon will release it in February but it's already available at the Gathering webshop - http://www.webshopgathering.com/product-p/blueprints-2cd.htm

blueprints-2CD-2T.jpg

Tracklist:

CD 1

1. Blister

2. Alone (demo)

3. Waking Hour (demo)

4. Converted Shuffle

5. Shortest Day (demo)

6. Fatigue (demo)

7. A Noise Severe (demo)

8. In Between (demo)

9. Silent Hymn

10.Forgotten (demo)

11.Inner Combat

12.Box (demo)

CD 2

1. Mokaka

2. Monsters (rough mix)

3. Zion (early ‘In Between’ version)

4. The Intangible

5. These Good People (rough mix)

6. Disarm (demo version of ‘You Learn About It’)

7. We Just Stopped Breathing (rough mix)

8. A Life All Mine (demo)

9. Oil

10.Debris (rough mix)

11.Film Glass

12.Out Of Breath (‘We Just Stopped Breathing’ live jam)

Sugarcoated has uploaded a few videos from Anneke's fan weekend canal cruise. 

Mirror Waters with Bart Smits. 

Gorgeous cover on that 'Blueprints'-album!  :sunny:  

My general experience with those 'outtakes & demo's'-albums is that it's meant more for die-hard fans than it's of an outstanding quality, but maybe I will very pleasantly surprised by this one (I certainly hope so). I think the only worthwhile 'outtakes & demo's'-release that I've got in my possesion is a U2 one.  

@Harvest

I think that kind of gig is so totally up your streak!

@Harvest

I think that kind of gig is so totally up your streak!

Yep, you are right. I'm not that big on festivals or major outdoor-shows, but give me Anneke singing in a cozy boat, cruising in a canal or a lake with a couple of dozen people and I'm so there. 

I can listen to her all day, all night, all year!!! Nice set of songs :)

I envy those who went to this Anneke fan day while sailing on the canals of Amsterdam! I can imagine how relaxing and surreal the feeling is..

@Roestseel

Taking the canals, Amsterdam, Anneke, her singing and her character all into account, she really is 'a gentle storm'!

Some days ago I ordered the first five albums with Anneke in a box set. The price was really cheap: 15€ for five albums. I'm now nervously awaiting the CDs since I only know Leaves. I just need new music as I didn't buy anything at all in about 1 1/2 months which is very unusual for me, so I took a risk because why not? Hopefully I end up liking the music (I think so).

13 hours ago, The Name Of The Wind said:

Some days ago I ordered the first five albums with Anneke in a box set. The price was really cheap: 15€ for five albums. I'm now nervously awaiting the CDs since I only know Leaves. I just need new music as I didn't buy anything at all in about 1 1/2 months which is very unusual for me, so I took a risk because why not? Hopefully I end up liking the music (I think so).

Don't expect to find too much similarities music wise in that box set. Mandylion is the only "real" gothic metal album and ever since that one they start to experiment with alt rock, post rock, there are songs with leaning towards psychedelics and so on. That's why they basically lost a big bunch of their fanbase after Mandylion. 

But with an open mind, there are a bunch of jewels all over those records. 

And my personal favorite is still Souvenirs. 

And mine too!! :D It's just so beautiful!! It's not a secret that I love electronic elements, and Annie sounds fantastic! Though I mostly know them because of Anneke, I haven't really payed too much attention on their newer material with Silje, would you recommend me it? Their times with Annie are even magical I would say, I love them.

About the first two albums though... Always is nice, but a bit strange and it's not something I would listen frequently. I don't care the change of Bart/Niels in Almost a Dance,  but I like Martine a bit better than Marike. Plus I like the Gothic atmosphere. That was a good album, maybe not as amazing as the ones with Anneke but still very enjoyable.

7 hours ago, WhiteLagoon said:

Though I mostly know them because of Anneke, I haven't really payed too much attention on their newer material with Silje, would you recommend me it? 

Here.

Great song and that ending is just chillingly beautiful.

On 15/4/2017 at 9:43 AM, Harvest said:

Don't expect to find too much similarities music wise in that box set. Mandylion is the only "real" gothic metal album and ever since that one they start to experiment with alt rock, post rock, there are songs with leaning towards psychedelics and so on. That's why they basically lost a big bunch of their fanbase after Mandylion. 

But with an open mind, there are a bunch of jewels all over those records. 

And my personal favorite is still Souvenirs. 

Your description sounds really interesting. I'm musically open minded, so based on your description the music should be right up my alley :) I want to branch out a bit since I have been listening to the same sort of melancholic or proggy stuff for the past few years, so I have grown a little bit tired of it. That's why I ordered the box-set, besides the price.