Sign in to follow this  
em_j_ottermaster

Opeth

65 posts in this topic

WOOO!!! I got to open this one :D

Opeth is an awesome Swedish Progressive Death Metal band.

Here is their discography:

Orchid (1995)

Morningrise (1996)

My Arms, Your Hearse (1998)

Still Life (1999)

Blackwater Park (2001)

Deliverance (2002)

Damnation (2003)

Ghost Reveries (2005)

Watershed (2008)

Heritage (2011)

Current lineup:

• Mikael Åkerfeldt – lead vocals, guitars (1990-present)*
  • Martin Mendez – bass guitar (1997-present)
  • Martin "Axe" Axenrot – drums, percussion (2006-present)
  • Fredrik Åkesson – guitars, backing vocals (2007-present)
  • Joakim Svalberg – keyboards, synthesizer, backing vocals, percussion (2011-present)

opeth_bio1.jpg

^ If you like Damnation so much, do you like Heritage too? cause that indicates you like the clean singing more, right?

OOOOHHHH I'm gonna see opeth in.... 2 weeks as of today :blink:

I liked what I heard from Heritage. I'm a death metal fan, and I like Opeth's death metal output, but I always felt that being a clean band was more natural for them.

I think Mikael's clean singing is underrated anyway. He may not be the most technically brilliant singer, but he has an amazing tone to his voice, and he has some incredible vocal melodies, which I don't think people appreciate as much either... especially after Heritage...

Find it funny though that people claimed they were "selling out" with Heritage, but i think that was far from selling out cause they basically alienated a chunk of their fanbase :P

Yeah I think it's definitely not selling out. Like Mikael said, he could have easily done another album in the style of Watershed and it would have been good. What they did was really sort of brave.

My problem is not so much with the new direction, it's more with seeing the old direction go. Mikael does have a good clean voice, but the special thing about Mikael to me was always that he could switch vocal styles so amazingly well. His clean singing on Heritage is probably more diverse then ever, but I'm not sure that can make up for the growling not being there anymore. I think with growling his vocals were a lot more diverse.

But he is a good clean singer, there's no question about that. He sort of reminds me a bit of Steve Wilson. Not much...just a little bit. I think Wilson has a softer voice then Mikael, but the range is sort of similar. Then again I don't know much of Porcupine Tree, so that could be just me.

Yeah, I certainly don't want them to turn their backs on the past... as much as I love Heritage, I don't think my fav songs off that album will ever come close to Demon of the Fall when it comes to amazingness.... :D

But what bothers me is that their setlists for this tour are so predictable... I'm glad they're doing Hex Omega and I Feel the Dark and Porcelain Heart, but when you know you're not going to get your fav songs, kinda makes me feel a tad deflated... i've always liked how their setlists are so varied and unpredictable, but this tour is basically the same setlist... I just don't want them to be restricting themselves

I saw them last week!

Amazing as usual! I love the new album (and it took me several listenings to appreciate it) .

They are absolutely flawless live.

It didn't change from the usual setlist they are currently playing...no growls just clean vocals.

It was a quite weird setlist but I really liked it!

I've been bored of Opeth for few years or so, and just recently I realized Heritage might actually be a refreshing thing to hear. Dunno if I'll like it though - some seem to praise it while some think it's horrible. I guess there's only one way to find out.

It depends on what you want/expect from Opeth though.

If you like them exploring new sounds, if you're open to the clean singing and have a fondness to 70's style prog rock, you'll enjoy Heritage.

If you're into Opeth for the more "metal" part, the growls, the heavier parts, the earlier sounds, you might not dig Heritage.

Its great that they tried something different, but just cause they don't have the growls, doesn't mean they don't have the typical darker/heavier Opeth moments on it... theres a part in I Feel The Dark that I feel is very sort of "typical" dark Opeth part of the song, which I adore...

I feel the same to a certain extent. Opeth was so great because they brought both worlds together and did it so well. On the other hand Heritage is not just the mellow parts of Opeth, it's something new for them. I think that a combination of that and the old death metal growls could be great, but I agree that I would like to see them mixing it up again.

I also thought that Opeth did have a stable progression until Heritage, it wasn't like every Opeth album was the same and then Heritage was the big change. But if Mikael says he can't develop the style they reached on Watershed any further...well, there's really not much to do then.

It's a bit weird, cause the new album isn't hard to swallow because of the music, the music is great. If this would be another band and Opeth would go on in the style of Watershed I would happily listen to both. I figure this change will bring them new fans though, cause I heard people saying time and again they can't get into Opeth. Maybe this album is a good entry point.

No, you didn´t get me right (if you answered me anyway, if not, I didn´t say anything :) ): What I expect from / like with Opeth is not one of these, it´s the combination of both worlds. This is what I find interesting!

Not talking to you :P If I was, I would have quoted you.... I was replying to Cursarion, and didn't bother quoting cause it was above my post. :P

Did they play Throat of Winter? cause I'm REALLLLYYY looking forward to that, I hope they play it when I see them :D

yes, they did! :)

yes, they did! :)

Good, cause I know they've been playing it, but not at every show, I don't think... but I was really looking forward to this one, so fingers crossed i'll have it in 10 days :D

Winter time = it's getting dark early = Opeth time!

Agreed! I been listening to Watershed alot lately.

I have the first four albums, which never get played. This band frustrates the hell out of me. They're a talented band, they're all proficient at their instruments... it's definitely not for lack of talent. What does it for me is how their songs will have interesting segments, immediately followed up by boring segments which seem to carry on endlessly. I like long songs, I like a lot of the riffs they use... I guess it's just how they put it together which puts me off. They do some amazing cover songs, though.

Absolutely, their "Soldier of Fortune" cover is beautiful.

Hm, so you have everything before "Blackwater Park" then. I would give Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries a shot, both are amazing albums (though Ghost Reveries is clearly superior although some crazy people will tell you otherwise) and a lot different then the first four albums.

I'm curious though, what do you think of the songs "When" and "Demon of the Fall" from "My Arms, Your Hearse"? Those are among my absolute favourite Opeth songs.

I have the first four albums, which never get played.

Care to donate them to someone who will certainly play them??

And on-topic, these days I have found myself listening a lot to The Devil's Orchard, I think it is a pretty original song...I just really can't describe how good it makes me feel....